Bubble Nebula question

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leovinus

Today's SPACE Page A Day calendar has an image of NGC 7635 (The Bubble Nebula) which is simlar to what I'm posting here. The caption reads: <br /><br /><i>Having the mass of 40 Suns, the central star within NGC 7635 -- the Bubble Nebula -- is powering a stellar wind of particles moving at 4 million mph (7 million kph). This wind is blowing a "bubble" within the surrounding cloud of gas and dust. The bubble's surface forms at the boundary where the wind is slowed down as it blasts into denser cloud material. NGC 7635 is 7,100 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopea.</i><br /><br />To me, 4 million mph is insanely fast. I was wondering if the particles travelling at that speed have any noticible relativistic effects or is that still too slow for that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

nahh, thats miles per "hour". Shifting that to a fraction of light speed, and you get ~0.5% C.<br /><br />No biggie.<br /><br />Now, 4 million miles per second...and you've just exceeded the speed limit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

L

Leovinus

Well, that's too bad. I was hoping to actually see something moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Maddad

A very good rule of thumb is that c is a billion kilometers per hour. This meshes very well with 4 million KPH being about 0.5% of c.

Status
Not open for further replies.