Question Can someone help me visualize the General Theory of Relativity in 3 dimensions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I’m not sure I have it straight myself! I was thinking of mapping gravitational fields like temperature gradients on a 2D map of the World. However in 3D you’d be “inside” the map.

imagine your are in a VR simulator, and that we are representing the strength of a gravity field as color intensities, pale red to deep red. As you approach Jupiter, the “air” outside your VR spaceship would deepen from pale to deep red as you approached the planet. And, looking ahead toward the planet you would see a deeper red, while looking backwards away from the planet it would look a lighter or less intense red.

Does that make sense? I love 3D visualizations. I once built a “star box” representing our local stellar neighborhood, a box 35 light years on a side, holding the 103 closest stars. It really gave me a better understanding of “nearby” space.

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
That's a really great idea to be frank, but I guess I do not have the equipments to do that. Might try later though.

I don't really get what you mean to say. Can you please elaborate? :)

"Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die. ..."The Charge of the Light Brigade poem, by Lord Tennyson (1854, describing the British cavalry in the Crimean War)

Moral is, (at least for me) when someone (person/gov./entity, ect., ect...) sends you to/into certain death, it's probably best to know why you're dying, before you die. I. e., don't always believe everything you're told (assume the worst & hope for the best), by the time you figure out you were lied to/mislead, it may be too late.

A well informed soldier, is a safer/wise(r)/healthier soldier. Question those who(m) have all the answers, or think they have all the answers.

Reactions: IG2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts