Can we remake plastic waste into rocket fuel??

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Have you ever heard about green rocket fuel that is made from plastic waste? Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested

Have you ever heard about green rocket fuel that is made from plastic waste? Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested
Given the likely lower than normal HHV (High Heat Value) for recycled product, I can't imagine there is any economical benefit, which is a critical component in any space endeavor.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Can we remake plastic waste into rocket fuel??

I saw on TV this week that one company is making floor tiling. Rocket fuel would be better, if possible, but any sort of "fill" application would be beter than nothing.

Cat :)

Some years ago, when getting rid of old tires was a really big issue, there was a new requirement to use "crumb rubber" additive to liquid asphalt for chip seal road work. This was supposed to be ground-up old tire rubber to help dispose of the tires. The rubber additive is definitely a better asphalt product for roads, btw.

However, seal coat jobs are awarded on low bids. So it was reported later that a lot of work was being done with virgin crumb rubber. You can guess why.

I would be surprised if it would make sense to refine plastics to get rocket-fuel quality, but I'm no chemist. I also wonder when air pollution using kerosene fuels, for instance, in lieu of the use of H and O2 (producing water vapor) will be shunned at some point.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Some years ago, when getting rid of old tires was a really big issue, there was a new requirement to use "crumb rubber" additive to liquid asphalt for chip seal road work. This was supposed to be ground-up old tire rubber to help dispose of the tires. The rubber additive is definitely a better asphalt product for roads, btw.

However, seal coat jobs are awarded on low bids. So it was reported later that a lot of work was being done with virgin crumb rubber. You can guess why.

I would be surprised if it would make sense to refine plastics to get rocket-fuel quality, but I'm no chemist. I also wonder when air pollution using kerosene fuels, for instance, in lieu of the use of H and O2 (producing water vapor) will be shunned at some point.
Only the following types of plastic can be converted into rocket fuel. Types like Polypropylene (PP). Polyester (PE). Polystyrene (PS) and their mixtures and analogs

Catastrophe

There is a distinction between thermosetting and thermosoftening polymers. Thermosetting cross -link and decompose on heating. Thermosoftening will go though melting and cooling cycles. Polythene (polyethyleve) is thermosoftening.

Thermosoftening (also called thermoplastics) are plastics which will soften when heated and can be reshaped. Thermosetting plastics are plastics do not soften on heating. They are used when resistance to heat is important (eg kettles, plugs, laptop chargers etc).
Quote (Google)

Reactions: Helio
This alternative rocket fuel (remade from plastic) was tested successfully. This test has shown that this new type of fuel is 1% - 3% better than kerosene by its energy characteristics. I wonder if it`s possible to use such kind of fuel in long space journeys?
That's interesting but is the cost for this product greater than the gain, including environmental costs due to combustion?

I would assume that there are many other products that might have greater economical benefit from recycled plastics, but I admit I could be wrong.

Catastrophe

I think the reaction kinetics of mixing two small components would be vastly quicker than one enormous macromolecule surrounded by molecules of the other component. For one thing, the macromolecule would cause steric hindrance of reaction sites.

Latest posts