Careers in developing space-based industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jgreene

I first learned of the great significance and potential of resources in near-Earth space a few years ago and immediately realized that establishing an infrastructure through which to utilize these resources to improve our civilization will likely be the most important human endeavor to take place in my lifetime. This revelation inspired me to return to school to study electronics engineering as a starting point from which to begin my career with the ultimate goal of becoming involved in developing and establishing such an infrastructure. This desire has only grown stronger with time as I learned more about the current state of the space industry and the failure of governmental space agencies to pursue meaningful and productive goals. Now that I am approaching graduation, the time has come to begin seriously investigating options as to how to make my dream a reality. My question to everyone here is <b>what companies or organizations are expected to be at the forefront of developing a space-based industrial infrastructure so I can focus my attention on them, and which of the space societies out there would prove most useful for networking with other individuals or organizations regarding this subject?</b><br /><br />John<br />

G

grooble

Same here. I want to get involved but i'm not sure how, what to study etc. I blew it at school so i think it is too late for me to be much help. I'm 22 now.<br /><br />

J

jgreene

Yeah, I too realized that the biggest barrier will be financial rather than technical. The best idea I could come up with is to approach the oil industry with a proposal for them to fund development, since they potentially have the most to lose from an infrastructure that would include solar power satellites and it would put them in a position to maintain a major role in the planets energy consumptiton. Putting the obvious distasteful political implicatitons of this to the side for a moment, all it would take is a couple young Saudi oil billionaires to really get a program up and running. As for the political side of things, I doubt the internatitonal community would allow control of something with such global signifigance to reside in the Middle East, so a more politically acceptable alternative would be a multitnational orginazition under the UN dedicated to coordinating private and public efforts toward the ultitmate goal of improving life on earth, through space. To borrow a name from the "Alien" movies, I would best describe this organization as the Terran Growth Conglomerate. Again, the problem is convincing so many people that this goal is NOT science fiction but a very attainable reality.<br />Anyway, to continue the theme of borrowing ideas from sci-fi, I also believe that an institute of higher learning should be established that facillitates this transition from sci-fi to sci-reality, a place where people such as myself and the other posters in this thread could prepare ourselves and others for the challenges of living and working in space on a permanent basis, an institute I can best describe as Starfleet Academy. <br />I really wish I had enough time to read through all the multipage threads on these subjects because Im pretty sure these are not original ideas, but ini any case im glad to get them off my chest.

J

jgreene

Oh yeah, and as far as my vision being a better asset than the degree I get, I couldnt agree more. However at the time of my revelation, I couldnt imagine any company involved in this hiring a high school dropout with no college and only non-technical working experience solely on my vision. I was always interested in electronics anyway and I figure a degree never hurts anything, except my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts