CBS Series "The Big Bang Theory"

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I know it's not sci fi itself rather a comedy that looks at the lives of four scientists who are all sci fi nuts. I find the series one of the few on network TV worthy of watching. This week they had Will Wheaton playing himself being harrassed by Sheldon. If you haven't made time to watch this show you are really missing something.

Y

yevaud

I periodically watch it, and yeah, the humor is higher-brow than most.

S

StarRider1701

Girlfriend likes the show, she's talked about Wesley Crusher being on the show a couple of times.

I know the characters are SciFi fans who talk about Star Trek and B-5 and all, but I've never been able to watch more than a few minutes of it. Even "higher brow" its still too stupid for my tastes.

B

Boots09

StarRider1701":3me66y4f said:
Girlfriend likes the show, she's talked about Wesley Crusher being on the show a couple of times.

I know the characters are SciFi fans who talk about Star Trek and B-5 and all, but I've never been able to watch more than a few minutes of it. Even "higher brow" its still too stupid for my tastes.

Thats because you darn vulcans have no sense of humor.. :D

Don't watch tv much myself so I've never seen it.

S

StarRider1701

Boots09":jt8znedw said:
Thats because you darn vulcans have no sense of humor.. :D

Don't watch tv much myself so I've never seen it.

That's funny, girlfriend says I'm a constant source of her amusement. Guess I wouldn't necessarily need a sense of humor for that... although I do have one. However, todays formula for comedy: "Loud + Obnoxious + Stupid = Funny" just doesn't seem to work for me.

S

SheldonCooper

This is a comedy series, not a science fiction series. Come on people...

While some of my best loved science fiction (Star Trek, not Babylon 5) contained some wonderful humor, I have yet to hear of a fan convention intended only for fans of comedies. :lol:

I Grok Spock.
SC

S

StarRider1701

SheldonCooper":158s7qk5 said:
This is a comedy series, not a science fiction series. Come on people...

While some of my best loved science fiction (Star Trek, not Babylon 5) contained some wonderful humor, I have yet to hear of a fan convention intended only for fans of comedies. :lol:

I Grok Spock. SC

Cool, do you grok "grok"? Do you know the origins of that word?

Say Sheldon, are you going to talk about posting to SDC on the show? It would be a natural thing for Sheldon.

I don't get why Sheldon doesn't like B5? It was one of the better written and done SciFi shows out there. (yes I know, Sheldon doesn't like B5 because the writers says so! it still don't make sense)

Wait till I tell girlfrend that I've been talking to SheldonCooper. She'll be soooo envious!!!

S

SheldonCooper

StarRider1701.

How can I possibly grok "grok" as it is defined "to share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity". A verb is not a physical or conceptual entity. It is a language construct. I don't believe there has been a better use of the concept than when David Gerrold stated that he grokked flat cats after reading the copy of the story he received from Heinlein himself. Of course I know the origins of the word. People possessing 40 fewer I.Q. points than I know the origins of the word.

I don't know why you would assume it would be natural for me to talk about my posts to a forum on the show. If I even mentioned a small fraction of the forums on which I participate the show would be quite boring. If I do mention posting on a forum during the show, it would be a forum with much higher significance than SDC. Most likely one with a connection to Star Trek or string theory.

Writers have absolutely nothing to do with my dislike of Babylon 5. The writing was quite adequate. I don't like B5 because I don't like B5. You remind me of Leonard. He doesn't seem to understand why I don't like people touching my food. Curious.

You should tell all your friends you have been talking with me. They would all be envious.

BTW. I like your picture. It reminds me of going to my first Star Trek convention when I was 7. Nimoy was there.

SC

S

StarRider1701

SheldonCooper":2pra8wvj said:
Of course I know the origins of the word. People possessing 40 fewer I.Q. points than I know the origins of the word.

Writers have absolutely nothing to do with my dislike of Babylon 5. The writing was quite adequate. I don't like B5 because I don't like B5.

BTW. I like your picture. It reminds me of going to my first Star Trek convention when I was 7. Nimoy was there.

Whether or not you are a fan of Heinlein isn't a matter of IQ points. Many people your age haven't a clue where the word came from even though they may use the word. Clearly, this is not the case with you.

So you just didn't like B5. Hmm. You're the first Science Fiction fan that I know who just plain didn't like it. I guess this proves that high IQs do not prevent poor taste.

Thank you, I was dressed to go to a Science Fiction Convention in town last June when the shot was taken. One of the other posters here, EarthlingX put it into the Star Trek background and helped me get it set as my avatar. I'm an old fart and am not as adept with computers as you younger folk.
The con was fun, only the second one I've ever been to. There were many costumes from many different shows, plenty of Star Fleet Officers and several Klingons, some Stargate, B5 and Farscape characters. Also quite a few that I could not identify, mainly from the comic and graphic novel areas. Been a long time since I've needed pictures in my reading materials. No big name Trek people there though. The only person of note that I met was Zathrus.

B

bdewoody

I went to a Star Trek convention while living in Atlanta, Ga. in the 1970's. The major attraction was Gene Roddenberry himself. The venue was where the Atlanta Hawks played basketball and the place was packed. He told how he sold the original series to the network and they showed the original pilot in it's original form plus about 30 minutes of out takes and pranks. He then spent about 45 min. taking questions from the crowd. One question I remember was concerning an episode where Sulu and an away team got trapped on a hostile planet and couldn't return to the Enterprise due to a transporter malfunction. Roddenberry was asked why didn't they just send a shuttle. He responded by saying that at the time of that episode the shuttles weren't in the budget yet.

C

Celli

Come on, guys.. The big bang theory is funny.. Especially when Sheldon is unemployed and begins to experiment on everything. It's true that the series isn't as fictional as the stories of Isaac Asimov, Arthur Clarke, or something. I believe the series should be taken only as a comedy. Maybe if you watch a series in mind that it's just a comedy made by Chuck Lorre (Two and A Half man is also a great series of comedy directed by him, although not scientific). It's also a matter of preference. Of course, nothing is absolute. There's always someone who prefers something other than 'you'. I hope they make shows like big bang theory, always preserving the classics.

((P.S: I'm sorry if I made any mistake in English. I'm still learning :) ))

S

StarRider1701

Celli":ogvoeib8 said:
Come on, guys.. The big bang theory is funny..

((P.S: I'm sorry if I made any mistake in English. I'm still learning :) ))

Yeah, Big Bang can be funny at times. Girlfriend loves it and 2.5 Men too. I even watch Big Bang with her for a few moments, but then it overloads my tolerance for stupidity (I have a very low tolerance for stupidity, and Sheldon is so Smart - he's stupid!) and I can't watch any more. That's all. Welcome to SDC Celli, and keep reading the masters of Science Fiction, it is the most literate genre out there.

Thanks for taking care with your English, you posted way better than many who were born with the language! As you will note if you read very many threads here. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts