ccd camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamaican

hey i am just wondering if the meade deap sky imager which is a ccd camera is good or are there any better ones out there because i think its a good camera.

A

adrenalynn

Hi and Welcome!<br /><br />I assume you're referring to the third-gen DSI, right? There's an awful lot of DSI models, so we need to be more specific. Some aren't so hot... <br /><br />The DSI-II (the DSI-III hasn't shipped yet, so I haven't actually played with one) is actually pretty mediocre. It really depends what price-range we're talking about. <br /><br />It's a decent toy, but I'd personally save up my money and go into something like an SBIG. <br /><br />From there, you can start getting into the real stuff. I'm still drooling over the Yankee Robotics with a Grade II Kodak chip.<br /><br />Again, though, it really depends on the budget. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

J

jamaican

well i have no real budget unless if its in the 10,000 mark lol if you say the sbig is good what is the difference from the dsi 2 , and also does it depend on the telescope?

J

jamaican

oh just to say i was looking at the DSI-II or the DSI-II pro but whats the difference in single shot colour to monochrom?

A

adrenalynn

The differences between the SBIGs and the DSI are too numerous to list. Everything is different. From the imager, to the cooling, to the integrated guide camera, to the build quality, to the sensitivity, to the resolution, to the color reproduction. There's just no comparison at all.<br /><br />The difference between monochrome and single-shot color is pretty much what it sounds like. With monochrome, you put on a red filter, take a picture. Put on a green filter, take a picture. Put on a blue filter, take a picture. Then you combine them to get color. With a single shot color - that all happens in one step.<br /><br />Doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that some of my exposures may be over 3hrs long. So instead of taking one 3hr picture, you're taking a 9hr picture. Ooops - not enough night-time!<br /><br />The SBIG is good - the Yankee Robotics is better, imho. If the budget is $10k.<br /><br />Sure, the telescope matters. The optics always matter. But with all things being equal, the imager in the CCD, how it's cooled, and how it shoots comes into play.<br /><br />Personally, I rarely use my home-built cooled CCD. (Similar to the DSI, it's a Sony Hyper HAD, TEC-Cooled, 512 line). I tend to shoot my Canon 20D DSLR instead. I just enjoy it more and feel more comfortable with it.<br /><br />It takes many years to get comfortable in astrophotography. You *must* be experienced with visual astronomy before you even start in astrophotography, imho. That being the case, a lot of the "what about the telescope" questions get pre-answered. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

J

jamaican

ok so wich would be better to get the DSI-II PRO monochrom or the DSI-II colour single shot? i think it might be best for me to buy a DSI-II because the SBIG might be going to far ahead. so i thought the DSI-II is the best but not sure which one to get the PRO or the single shot and what accesories to get with it?

A

adrenalynn

The DSI II Pro *with* the CCD Color Filters<br /><br />What kind of scope are you mounting this on? Do you have either an equatorial mount or wedge? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

J

jamaican

i am using an equatorial mount, my scope is the SK1309EQ2, diametre=130,focal lenght=900 and the f/ratio=f/7, and also with the DSI-IIpro would i have to always take pictures with the filters or if i dont use them would i get a black and white picture?

J

jamaican

any more advice from any one cause i need it i need to make the right decision

A

adrenalynn

If you don't use filters, you'd get a monochrome (black and white) picture.<br /><br />You'll probably also want alternate filters as well, for things like hydrogen-alpha and oxygen-III exposures. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

J

jamaican

ok kool m8 so its better basicly to get the PRO edition and a variety of filters, ok thnxs alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts