CEV Devils advocate

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elguapoguano

I believe that was the X-38 CRV. And that program admitted that there was a problem with landing a lifting body, so they had to develop, the most complex and largest steerable parafoil the world has ever seen. <br /><br />I'd rather worry about my chute not opening than the charges not blowing in the correct sequence. But I guess that is just me... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

D

dobbins

"How does a capsul land in the event a shute failer??? "<br /><br />The same way Apollo 15 did after a parachute failure, with the other two parachutes.<br />

R

rocketman5000

>Besides a curve on the sides of the capsule will probably make it more aerodynamically more effeciant<<br /><br />actually at supersonic speeds air turns corners with relative ease. it even accellerates. thus the source of that nasty wing vibrations at transsonic speeds. Interestingly enough you can make a wing that looks like a diamond fly at supersonic speeds if it is inclined at an angle.

R

rocketman5000

The space program is one that has always been swayed by public opinion. The more public support you have the more money you get to spend. Take a look at the Apollo era budget. NASA would kill to have a budget such as that in today's dollars

D

dobbins

" That crash shows one of the problems with lifting bodies, dangerously high landng speeds."<br /><br />Gasp!!!<br /><br />How can that be? Lifting Bodies are perfect in every way!! The perfect shape for EVERYTHING!! Every type of spaceship, airplanes, cars, boats, ANYTHING!!<br /><br />

V

ve7rkt

<font color="yellow">How would a LB cope if it had to land other than on a runway?</font><br /><br />The F-104 Starfighter had to be landed at absurdly fast speeds, track down an F-104 pilot and ask them what they think would happen if they landed off-strip. I have doubts that you'll find many living pilots who actually experienced landing off-strip...<br /><br /><font color="yellow">How does a capsul land in the event a shute failer???</font><br /><br />Same way a parachutist lands if his parachute fails, but with a bigger crater. [edit: unless you have backup chutes, which are easier to pack than backup runways]

M

mlorrey

Note the Vostok capsule equipped the pilot with a parachute, by which he jumped from the capsule in flight, since the capsules parachute didn't slow it enough to avoid back injuries to the pilot.

J

JonClarke

Vostok pilots don't really jump, they ejected. This is about the only backup option for lifting bodies and space planes that's going to work.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.