Chandrayaan 1 mission

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

<p>This is mentioned in several media reports about this mission, and I'm just wondering what it means:</p><p><font color="#003366"><strong>During its controlled plunge it took readings including measurements of the composition of the Moon's atmosphere.&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7730157.stm&nbsp;</p><p>Atmosphere ?!?&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <h1 style="margin:0pt;font-size:12px">----------------------------------------------------- </h1><p><font color="#800000"><em>Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."<br />Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."</em></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Website / forums </strong></font></p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">(moved from another thread)I found this link:<font color="#000080">http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/JJ22Df02.html</font>"Chandrayaan, mea................... Posted by kelvinzero</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Hi kelvinzero,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>My guess is that is the range of spatial resolution we van expect from the mission. 10 metres my guess will be the orbital spatial coverage of the lunar surface. If so that will be a phenomenal achievement, the entire moon seen at 10 metres.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>The 5mm is from the MIP & I suspect 5mm is the expected resolution onf the final image, prior to MIP impacting the lunar surface.&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">This is mentioned in several media reports about this mission, and I'm just wondering what it means:During its controlled plunge it took readings including measurements of the composition of the Moon's atmosphere.&nbsp;<font color="#000080">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7730157.stmAtmosphere</font> ?!?&nbsp; <br /> Posted by Smersh</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Hi Smersh, the moon does actually have an 'atmosphere' if you can call such a flimsy collection of rarified gasses that. The total mass of the lunar atmosphere is approx 25 Metric Tonnes (25,000 KG). It is patchy & densest over the shadowed polar craters & just before dawn, where it may reach a high density of 0.0000000000001 Torr (760 Torrs = 1 Bar), so it is about the same as a good laboratory vacuum. It's chief constituents are Helium, Hydrogen, Neon & Argon, with some CO2, Methane, Ammonia, Silicon, Oxygen (atomic Oxygen not molecular) Magnesium.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>So the moonm with a total surface area similar to the whole North American continent (including the Caribbean & Mexico IIRC), with only 25 tonnes of of patchy 'atmosphere'. Better than Mercury, which is much larger with only 8 Tonnes!!!!!!!!!!</strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>The lunar atmosphere is thought to be sourced from the solar wind with some lunar outgassing.</strong></font></p><p><strong><font size="2">According to the twitter site linked to by centsworth_II (which I check regularly) looks like MIP did come down in Shackleton Crater as planned. ISRO seem to think that the Indian Flag survived the descent, although I do not know how they know that, although I really hope it did as a momento of India's amazing success with the country's first lunar landing.</font></strong></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Andrew Brown.</strong></font>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Maybe this can put&nbsp;the last time&nbsp;into perspective: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_in_music. :) <br />Posted by kelvinzero</DIV><br /><br /><p class="first">NEW DELHI (AP) _ India rejoiced Saturday at joining an elite club by planting its flag on the moon as the country s space agency released the first pictures of the cratered surface taken by its maiden lunar mission. A probe sent late Friday from the orbiting mother spacecraft took pictures and gathered other data India needs for a future moon landing as it plummeted to a crash-landing at the moon s south pole, said Indian Space Research Organization spokesman B.R. Guruprasad.</p><p>The box-shaped probe was painted with India s saffron, white and green flag, sparking celebrations in the country that is striving to become a world power. The tricolor has landed, the Hindustan Times said in a banner headline, while The Asian Age proclaimed India is big cheese.</p><p>As India s economy has boomed in recent years, it has sought to convert its newfound wealth built on the nation s high-tech sector into political and military clout. The moon mission comes just months after it finalized a deal with the United States that recognizes India as a nuclear power, and leaders hope the mission will further enhance its prestige.</p><p>This momentous achievement shall be etched in the history of India as a grateful tribute to our scientific community for their resolute efforts to take India to a global leadership position, said Sonia Gandhi, head of the ruling Congress party. To date only the U.S., Russia, the European Space Agency, Japan and China and now India have sent missions to the moon.</p><p>But while the celebrations conjured up images akin to that of the U.S. flag unfurled on the moon by Apollo astronauts, India s flag is most likely scattered over a wide swath of the moon s Shackleton crater after the probe slammed into the surface at more than 3,100 miles (5,000 kilometers) per hour. The violent landing was planned and Indian scientists hope to study the images and data sent back by the probe during its 25-minute descent to prepare for a future soft landing, Guruprasad told The Associated Press.</p><p>It carried a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer. The video imaging system took pictures of the moon s surface, while the altimeter measured the rate of descent of the probe and the mass spectrometer studied the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.</p><p>Guruprasad said the pictures that were released were raw images and that scientists had not yet analyzed the information sent by the probe. It was the first stage of a two-year mission aimed at measuring not only the surface of the moon, but what lies beneath.</p>

S

sssalvi

<p>Some updates about Chandrayaan-1:</p><p>1. The <strong>Terrain Mapping Camera ( TMC ) </strong>, one of 11 payloads on board Chandrayaan,has been capturing images of the Moon since November 13 from a height of 100 km from the lunar surface. They will be processed by Monday,17th.</p><p>2.On Sunday , The <strong>Hyper Spectral Imager (HySI)</strong> would be switched on. It <strong>&nbsp;</strong>would create a mineralogical map of the lunar surface </p><p>3. The MIP, ( 2 images of which have been published ) is not really a video camera. It is a still picture camera clicking at high speed. It has&nbsp; actually returned about 15,000 images over the course of the 25-minute descent. This may be converted to a slow framed video later. </p><p><br />http://www.hindu.com/2008/11/16/stories/2008111656370800.htm</p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>(moved from another thread)I found this link:http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/JJ22Df02.html&quot;Chandrayaan, meaning "moon vehicle" in Hindi, will "prepare a three-dimensional atlas [with a high spatial and altitude resolution of 5 millimeters to 10m] of both the near and the far side of the moon", according to the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). "What do they mean by 5mm? What does that apply to and what does the 10m figure apply to? <br />Posted by kelvinzero</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;"5 millimeters" might be the vertical accuracy, and "10m" the horizontal (as Andrew suggested). 5 mm is exceptional, but not impossible. We use DEMS for work and typically the vertical accuracy is about a 10th of the horizontal.&nbsp; So I would have expected something more like 50 cm-1 m.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

Smersh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> ... Hi Smersh, the moon does actually have an 'atmosphere' if you can call such a flimsy collection of rarified gasses that. The total mass of the lunar atmsophere is approx 25 Metric Tonnes (25,000 KG). It is patchy & densest over the shadowed polar craters & just before dawn, where it may reach a high densitiy of 0.0000000000001 Torr (760 Torrs = 1 Bar), so it is about the smae as a good laboratory vacuum. It's chief constituents are Helium, Hydrogen, Neon & Argon, with some CO2, Methane, Ammonia, Silicon, Oxygen (atomic Oxygen not molecular) Magnesium.So the moonm with a toal surface area similar to the whole North American continent (including the Caribbean & Mexico IIRC), with only 25 tonnes of of patchy 'atmosphere'. Better than Mercury, which is much larger with only 8 Tonnes!!!!!!!!!!The lunar atmosphere is thought to be sourced from the solar wind with some lunar outgassing.According to the twitter site linked to by centsworth_II (which I check regularly) looks like MIP did come down in Shackleton Crater as planned. ISRO seem to think that the Indian Flag survived the descent, although I do not know how they know that, although I really hope it did as a momento of India's amazing success with the country's first lunar landing.Andrew Brown.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by 3488</DIV></p><p>Cheers Andrew, I had a feeling it was something like that actually, but wasn't entirely certain what they meant.&nbsp;</p><p>I have a feeling that statement should have been explained better in the media reports though, (for education of the masses, if you like,) otherwise some people with no knowledge of astronomy, might get the idea that the Moon has a "regular-size" atmosphere!&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <h1 style="margin:0pt;font-size:12px">----------------------------------------------------- </h1><p><font color="#800000"><em>Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."<br />Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."</em></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Website / forums </strong></font></p> </div>

S

sssalvi

The TMC video&nbsp;is a QLD ( Quick Look Display ) as is acquired by the craft with only ( probably ) rotation correction because the image appears to be slightly trapezoidal. One can't have a constant scale factor throughout the image. It will be geometrically distorted and of course without any radiometric ( intensity/brightness ) corrections. You can't expect LAT/LONG details on such a image.

A

alokmohan

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>According to http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001743/The TMC images are about 25 m/pixel In the race to explore space, there may be a new moon on the rise. In the same week that NASA <font color="#0aa1dd">declared the Mars Phoenix mission over</font>, India dropped an impactor, which crash-dived onto the moon's surface today, <font color="#0aa1dd">the Associated Press reports</font>. The Moon Impactor Probe (MIP) was carried by India's moon satellite, Chandrayaan 1, which <font color="#0aa1dd">entered lunar orbit earlier this week</font>.<br /><br />The MIP, painted with the flag of India, was blown to smithereens after crashing into the moon at about 3,100 miles (5,000 kilometers) per hour. Before its planned crash, however, it sent photos and data that India will now use to plan a 2011 moon rover mission and a yet-unfunded manned mission. It was one of 11 instrument payloads on Chandrayaan 1, which means "moon craft" in Sanskrit. <p>India has now joined an elite group--the U.S., Russia, the European Space Agency, China, and Japan--that have sent missions to the moon.</p><br />Posted by zhang</DIV>Scientific&nbsp;&nbsp; American<br />

W

who_cares

<p>&nbsp;Not quite, the released pictures have a width of 1024 pixels. The CCD sensor in TMC has a little over 4k pixels (have a look at a paper on it's design). It works out to about 5 m per pixel.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The released pictures have however been shrunk to about 1/4th the real width, and are therefore at ~ 20m/ pixel. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>According to http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001743/The TMC images are about 25 m/pixel <br /> Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Z

zhang

The second image of <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#0000ff">Torricelli C </font>is 875 X 761 pixels, so it is not 1K image. 25 m/pixel calculation is quite rough as well:) ISRO did not make it clear that is the full-resolution image or just some re-size image for web purpose.

S

sssalvi

<p>ISRO has put some images from several instruments on board Chandrayaan.</p><p>http://www.isro.org/Chandrayaan/htmls/ImageMoon.htm</p><p>Also there appears to be some worry&nbsp; due to temp ..&nbsp; it is 10 deg higher than&nbsp;expected and it seems to be due to radiation received from Lunar surface.</p><p>&nbsp;http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7748611.stm</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">&nbsp;Some update from T<font color="#000080">MChttp://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/moon_images.htm</font>Any idea which crater is in this image? <font color="#000080">http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/imagesfromchandrayaan/moonclip1.jpg </font><br /> Posted by zhang</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Hi zhang,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>You've hit upon a good point there. Incredible image for sure, but there is no caption revealing other information, like name of crater, size of crater, latitude, longitude, resolution of image.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong> My guess is that this crater is very small & the image has a resolution of only a few metres, given the vast number of small craters visible.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>The only thing hinted at is that this crater is over on the lunar farside, but in theory that could be anywhere on half the lunar surface. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Looking at the lighting, the solar illumination is from the lower left, my guess assuming north is at top, is that this crater is approx 40 - 50 North in mid to late lunar afternoon. If there is a date avaliable, I could narrow down the area considerably, but assuming of course the image is orientated with North at top.&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

I am hoping that there will be a lot of Chandrayaan (and Chang'e and Kaguya) abstracts at this years LPSC in March.&nbsp; If so I will give links to them, and (since I am going thjis year - yay!) give reports on the talks I can get to. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Indian Moon Orbiter Fails Abruptly
By K.S. Jayaraman
Space News Correspondent
posted: 29 August 2009
01:28 pm ET

BANGALORE, India — India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar orbiter mission, which launched last October, ended 14 months prematurely Saturday after an abrupt malfunction, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement.

ISRO said scientists abruptly lost radio contact with the nation's first planetary probe, which was designed to operate for two years in orbit around the Moon. ISRO spokesman S. Satish told Space News, SPACE.com's sister publication, on Saturday that attempts to reestablish contact had failed and that the mission was as good as lost.

The spacecraft, carrying a payload of 11 scientific instruments — six supplied by U.S. and European partners — was orbiting at an altitude of 124 miles (200 km) and could crash any time on the lunar surface, he said. The end comes four months after the onboard star sensor for determining Chandrayaan-1's orientation began malfunctioning April 26, forcing controllers to activate a backup system to keep the spacecraft's antenna pointed to the ground station near Bangalore.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/09 ... ction.html

K

kelvinzero

It will be interesting to hear a summary of what goals were achieved or partially achieved, including those involving cooperation with the american mission.

In particular I am interested in how this will affect the search for water or any other motivation for human missions.

kelvinzero":9rjl357q said:
It will be interesting to hear a summary of what goals were achieved or partially achieved, including those involving cooperation with the american mission.

In particular I am interested in how this will affect the search for water or any other motivation for human missions.

One experiment very recently was that Chandraayan 1 used the MINI SAR (Mini Synthetic Aperture Radar) to bounce radia waves into some polar craters & the NASA LRO, which is in a lower orbit picked up the signals. There has been no further word on it since. The MINI SAR on Chandrayyan 1 & the MINI RF (Mini Raidio Requency) on LRO are essentially clones.

It does certainly look like that Chandraayan 1 has definitely ended. Is there a site that shows the entire collection of images from the Moon Impact Probe released from Chandraayan 1 at the beginning of the primary mission????

Andrew Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts