Chevy Ads Not Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abq_farside

FYI
I have found that sometimes, when I rollover the Chevy ads with my mouse and the ad expands, I cannot close them by clicking on the upper right-hand corner x. Clicking on the x brings up the a new ad window.

Does not happen all the time, but enough that it is annoying, especially when the rolled over ad covers a post that I am reading.

Edit: BTW - I am using IE8

S

scottb50

abq_farside":1h0t3d7h said:
FYI
I have found that sometimes, when I rollover the Chevy ads with my mouse and the ad expands, I cannot close them by clicking on the upper right-hand corner x. Clicking on the x brings up the a new ad window.

Does not happen all the time, but enough that it is annoying, especially when the rolled over ad covers a post that I am reading.

Edit: BTW - I am using IE8

I have noticed the same problem and opened a thread in Free Space and was told to bring it here. I find it pretty obnoxious and it blocks the home bar so you have to close the page to get away from it.

I am using Fire Fox so I don't think it is a browser problem as much as it is an ad made to work this way.

A

abq_farside

I have noticed that closing the ads seem to be working correctly today (and I think yesterday).

S

scottb50

abq_farside":1v1qeqfd said:
I have noticed that closing the ads seem to be working correctly today (and I think yesterday).

I just tried to close it and got another and from a Chandler car dealer. Now its back to the Escalade ad, if I scroll over it it opens to a big Cadillac ad. If I hit close it closes. two minutes ago it didn't do this.

D

doublehelix

So it sounds like things are ok for you guys wrt the ad? Please post here if you run into further related problems to the ad. Thanks!

-dh

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":36x3wo0n said:
So it sounds like things are ok for you guys wrt the ad? Please post here if you run into further related problems to the ad. Thanks!

-dh
Well, today an ad (another Chevy ad) on the front page of SDC misbehaved again so I cannot say for certain the problem has gone away.

S

scottb50

abq_farside":3q2zf3k2 said:
doublehelix":3q2zf3k2 said:

-dh
Well, today an ad (another Chevy ad) on the front page of SDC misbehaved again so I cannot say for certain the problem has gone away.

I have the same thing today just like you say. It might be some of the ads do it and others don't as they seem to rotate between different brands. The fact it is putting up ads specifically for dealers in close proximity to where I live means they are getting information from SDC of at least where I live.

D

DrRocket

doublehelix":1s3tslu8 said:

-dh

Things are definitely not OK with that damn roll-over ad. Sometimes it can be closed and sometimes not. But it is always annoying.

But it is effective. I have two GM vehicles in the garage. Because of that deliberately annoying ad, it will snow in hell before I buy another one.

It also encourages participation in other boards.

A

abq_farside

silylene":czu6u1nt said:
Is this a moot issue, now that GM is bankrupt ?

Apparently not - they are back and causing trouble again. A quick mouse over brings up the rollover ad then trying to close them brings up a new explorer window. Does not happen all the time, but enough that is irritating.

Again!

Interestingly enough the previous ad (non-chevy) it seemed like the rollover time was a bit longer, so if you accidentally did a mouse over, the ad did not expand immediately.

D

doublehelix

Are any of the ads continuing to give people problems? Chevy, GM, whatever. Let me know! Thanks. :ugeek:

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Just thought I'd ad (haha) my experience. IE8 currently.

The ads (currently Hostways) are damn annoying, but they do close when I click on the magic X.

The problem for me is, since it is an instantaneous rollover ad, unless after clicking "X" close, you get the heck out of the way, if your cursor lingers for a millisecond over the ad it opens again.

Unless I immediately move it up (because down is back over the ad) and to the left, the sucker opens again. Maybe insert some lag time in the rollover open...like a second or two (or a month or two :) ) where the user might actually want to open it?

I have not experienced any trouble in closing any of the ads, though....just have to be careful that the cursor doesn't accidently stray over it again.

MW

R

R1

The ads are not a problem. Just be careful where you put your cursor; if you (anyone) don't like the ad, don't point at it.
If you don't like the fire, keep your hand out of it.

Anyway, nowadays GM seems to be out to lunch or strike or something.
I usually just get some cute, horizontal woman in my ad, now.
( And I cannot get her to expand :( )

:lol:

M

MeteorWayne

R1":35m91nm6 said:
I usually just get some cute, horizontal woman in my ad, now.
( And I cannot get her to expand :( )
:lol:

Yeah, my neck as been getting really sore lately bending over to look at her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts