Expanding Ads Have Got to Go!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CommonMan

Re: Pop up Ads

Maybe if we all bought something from them they would go away……….then again they would just make them bigger! :x

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Pop up Ads

Do what I do. I have a personal ban list of companies that I will never do business with.

M

MeteorWayne

No problem, I'm pretty freeeeekin' annoyed just like everyone else. What I will do for tonight is move this thread to the correct forum, but will leave a copy here until tomorrow sometime before I merge it into the honkin big thread (probably over 100 posts by the time I am done) You will see the thread here in Free Space, but your posts and the thread will be redirected to the proper forum to get action.

Like I said, the admins, mods and TPTB don't make a habit out of reading Free Space. So you are wasting your time posting about such issues here.

Z

ZenGalacticore

M.Wayne- I hear what you're saying and all, don't get me wrong. But I posted the first complaint thread about this in Community Talk Back in early July and received no responses. (abq posted a similar beef over a month later and got 10 Re.s. I have no real problem with that, just pointing out that the awareness/response level was low in either case.)

I knew it was directly futile to post the grievance in Open Forum, but indirectly, I thought it might drum up some buzz about this irritating, annoying problem, that's all.

[edit] And I'm really getting sick of the 'Allied Electronics' ad popping up in my face with the John-Boy Walton look-alike douchebag.

Z

ZenGalacticore

ZenGalacticore":1ugpdabu said:
M.Wayne- I hear what you're saying and all, don't get me wrong. But I posted the first complaint thread about this in Community Talk Back in early July and received no responses. (abq posted a similar beef over a month later and got 10 Re.s. I have no real problem with that, just pointing out that the awareness/response level was low in either case.)

I knew it was directly futile to post the grievance in Open Forum. Although indirectly, I thought it might drum up some buzz about this irritating, annoying problem, that's all.

[edit] And I'm really getting sick of the 'Allied Electronics' ad popping up in my face with the John-Boy Walton look-alike douche-bag.

Seriously. They must cease with this 'in your face' advertising. It won't work. At least, with most of the regular posters here. I have no way of gauging the intelligence or tolerance level of all the 'browsers' or 'surfers' or non-participatory members and non-members out there.

Of course, that may be the audience the obnoxious ad-men are targeting. In my opinion though, it is apparent to me that they are laying down a shot-gun wide-angle oppressing fire!! As most ad-men do!!

(Hey ad-men, we truly HATE you and your methods!!!!)

D

doublehelix

I've sent this thread to the advertising department - I expect they will find your feedback very useful. I have no control over their decisions, just so you know. What I can do is alert them to your concerns. Thanks for all the feedback - I can understand how frustrated you are feeling.

Looking out for you guys as best I can,
-dh

C

CommonMan

Thanks dh, none of this is directed at you. We know you and MeteorWayne are trying to help. I think everyone else will agree on that.

A

abq_farside

ZenGalacticore":3o19zf6x said:
[edit] And I'm really getting sick of the 'Allied Electronics' ad popping up in my face with the John-Boy Walton look-alike douchebag.

Yes that AE ad is VERY annoying the last couple of days. :twisted:

M

MeteorWayne

I was thinking of writing to them pointing out they are pissing off 526886 Users, but figured I'd give SDC a chance to fix it before it's too late.

B

bdewoody

I had a feeling when I started my thread it had already been done but in my haste to get my message out I forgot to check. Thanks to the moderators for trying to get the message to the board sponsors.

M

MasterComposter

I like the new ad that is just a dark red background with sort of a lighter red spot in the middle. It doesn't do anything. Doesn't expand. Doesn't even have words or pictures. It's an enigma...

M

MeteorWayne

I was going to say how nice it was not to have to deal with the Allied Elec expanding ad, but must have thought it too loud. That annoying POS is back and as bad as ever.

M

mental_avenger

At the very least the ad should be changed so that it will no longer respond to a mouse over once a particular user has opened it. Surely they cannot believe there is any point in annoying members with it who have already rejected it. OK, mouse over it once and see the message, no problem. They got their money’s worth. All subsequent mouseovers are just harassment and can only harm their image.

M

MeteorWayne

That's a darn good idea. But TPTB have ignored all suggestions regarding this issue, so I an't holdin' my breath.

Latest additions to my "vendors I will never deal with" list due to this issue:

Chevy

Hostways Web Hosting

M

MasterComposter

Two things I hate most:

One is that if you click certain links on this website and leave your cursor exactly where it is, when the new page displays, it seems like it opens with your cursor directly over one of these crappy ads, triggering it to expand. Have they set up certain links as "traps" to force a rollover?

The other thing is that in some caes I am CERTAIN you do not actually have to roll over to trigger an expansion -- you only have to get close. Yesterday the Chevy ad was being displayed between two posts, somewhere down the page, not at the top. I was trying to click the Quote button on the post directly below the ad. As soon as I would get close enough to hit the button the ad would expand to cover it. Tried several times to do it, being VERY careful not to roll over the ad, but there was no way. I eventually had to click another link to get out of the thread, then select the thread again, scroll back down to the post, and hope it did not have the crappy Chevy ad again. This time it was something else and it worked.

Crappy Chevy...

M

MeteorWayne

I did an experiment on my system with the annoying as hell, hope they go out of business Allied Elec ad.... I found the right 1/3 of the ad produces no response, the trigger zone is the left 2/3 of the ad from top to bottom.

Geez if they could put in a freakin' 3 second time delay it would serve the same purpouse without annoying the hell out of everyone who has seen the bloody expanding ad 1.3 million times by now.

Sheesh..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts