Colorful object in the NY sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

ynathan

Looking South in New York City tonight, 9 Aug '06 at about 60 degrees there is a colorful object in the sky.<br /><br />I'm in the city and very few stars are visible so this must be pretty bright. It seems to change colors.<br /><br />Any idea what this is?

Q

qso1

What time and direction was the object visible?<br /><br />Also, how large...is it a pinpoint of light changing colors or larger? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Y

ynathan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What time and direction was the object visible? <br /><br />Also, how large...is it a pinpoint of light changing colors or larger? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Time: 9:30-10pm (That's when I saw it, then it went out of view behind a building)<br />Direction: South<br />Size: About the size of other stars and planets in the sky

M

MeteorWayne

Well it sounds like it could be one of 3 bright stars:<br />1. Arcturus (almost due west at 9:30) or<br />2. Altair ( ESE at 9:30)<br />Both are about 45 degrees elevation.<br />Arcturus is a little brighter with kind of a yellowish tint,<br />Altair appears almost pure white. (Movie reference: Forbidden Planet)<br />3. Vega, About as bright as Arcturus, but white), about 75 degrees elevation in the SE, but that would only be blocked by taller close buildings (depending on where you are that is possible!)<br />All will flicker and change colors when passing through the air over the city (I know how hard it is. Often tried to check what stars I could see from 30 Rock in my last job).<br />A weak possibility is Jupiter, which should twinkle less but is very low in the southwest.<br />There's nothing really bright due south. Can you refine the direction a bit?<br />Are you looking straight down one of the avenues? If so, is it on the left or right side of the street?<br />Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I think it might be Vega. 75 degrees is pretty close to 60 degrees and most people (even me) tend to underestimate elevations near the zenith unless they measure. <br />Hold you fist out at arms length, the width is about 10 degrees. If it's less than two fist widths from directly overhead, then Vega (Movie Reference: Contact) is the likely winner.<br /><br />MW<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

But it's very low. VERY hard to see in the city.<br />It is however brighter than all 3 the stars I mentioned. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

L

larper

Jupiter <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

I assume since you said south, you meant 60 degrees elevation, correct? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Again I have a hard time believing that. At that time Jupiter is only 20 degrees off the horizon. Unless you are looking straight down a street or avenue, you ain't seeing that in the big apple, unless you're very high up in an apartment. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Another good question was raised. Were you observing this from street level or from a higher elevation. What floor were you looking from? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

ynathan

From the 6th floor of an apartment building (but there is a tall building in front of me to block it as it moves West).<br /><br />I estimate 60 degrees elevation, if anything it would be a little less rather than a little more. It's on the same level as the moon is at that time of night (9:30-10pm).<br /><br />I've seen Jupiter plenty of times and it's not Jupiter.

Y

ynathan

Okay, today's the 15th and it's still there. I realized that I'm looking SW from where I am, an it's still there, about 45 degrees in the sky.

M

MeteorWayne

My best guess would be Arcturus. Can you see any of the big dipper? If so, you can follow the arc of the handle away from the bowl and it points to Arcturus. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts