Comet hitting the sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

astroboy3k

Just out of my imagination.... Not likely possible.. What happens if a giant comet the size of jupiter (which is not likely to ever happen) hits the sun at 1/5 the speed of light or higher. What will happen to the solar system, will it fall apart?

S

silylene old

I bet Pluto, Sedna, Xena and Rama (aka Santa) and the other big KBOs would survive. They may warm up a bit however! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

V

vogon13

It would be possible for a larger object (like a white dwarf, I don't know about Jupiter) to pass through the sun.<br /><br />The shockwave from the objects passage would violently heat and compress a great deal of the hydrogen in the sun. This would drastically increase the rate of fusion reaction in the sun.<br /><br />The resulting explosion, while less zappy than a nova, would still be very unpleasant on earth.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

L

Leovinus

They probably vaporize before hitting the sun. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts