Comparing Lunar Orbit Rendezvous to other rendezvous options

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gunsandrockets

This has to do with the details of lunar travel, and more specifically current NASA plans for lunar travel with project Constellation.<br /><br />Background<br /><br />NASA has chosen the so-called '1.5 launch' (really 2 launch) Earth Orbit Rendezvous (EOR) plus Lunar Orbit Rendezvous (LOR) architecture for lunar travel. The CEV will return to Earth straight from a polar low lunar orbit. Because the capsule Crew Module (CM) will recover on land inside the United States, the CM must do a skip-reentry to reach the higher lattitude of the preferred landing zone.<br /><br />The Issue<br /><br />Many other options have been proposed, most often substituting Langrange Point Rendezvous (LPR) at either EML-1 or EML-2 for the NASA plan of LOR. I'm interested at comparing those rendezvous options. For shorthand I will refer to EML-1 LPR as LPR-1 and EML-2 LPR as LPR-2.<br /><br />Questions<br /><br />1) I have heard that LPR-1 permits anytime Earth return and to any Earth latitude. Is this also true for LPR-2?<br /><br />2) What is the difference in Earth return travel time and Earth re-entry velocity between LPR-1, LOR and LPR-2? Does LPR-1 provide a significant bonus in lower re-entry velocity compared to LPR-2?<br /><br />3) Detail of delta-V differences between LPR-1, LOR and LPR-2?

T

thereiwas

And it seems to me that any Earth reentry coming from lunar orbit (or close to lunar orbit) is going to be going about the same speed. L1 is not <i>that</i> much closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts