Composition of the Moon's Crust

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexblackwell

<b>Composition of the Moon's Crust</b><br /><br />--- New empirical calibrations of Lunar Prospector and Clementine data yield improved global maps of Th, K, and FeO. The movie of the Moon, shown to the right, consists of compositional data for Th, K, FeO, and the Clementine 750 nm albedo image played in that order. <br />(Courtesy of J.J. Gillis.)<br /><br /><b><i>Written by Linda M. V. Martel</i></b><br />Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology<br />posted December 10, 2004

S

silylene old

Akex: That was interesting - since I was puzzled why so much thorium was concentrated in some maria (but not so much in others). This drove me to learning more about KREEP basalts in the lunar maria, and this interesting reference: http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Aug00/newMoon.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

S

spacester

Thanks Alex. Without you, I'd have missed this very important advancement in Lunar Science. A very well written article by Taylor as well, thanks silylene.<br /><br />That whole LKFM / PKT discussion was very informative. TiO2 concentrations look like they just might yield proftable ore bodies. Maybe we can build our lunar habitats out of titanium frames and sheet metal. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.