Contact with other forms of life?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Wolfshadw

This is a curious topic for me.

Some have said that we have strong immunity to alien life forms. I assume they are saying that our DNA structure for our cells will easily reject them so that they can't sneak into our cell system.

Is this correct?

If so, what happens when we grill some alien "cattle" on the grill? Can we digest such dissimilar bioforms?

Seeing how we've never come across alien life forms, I'd say it's a little premature to state. We have no idea how an alien DNA would interact with ours. For all we know, we're one passing meteor away from global extinction.

-Wolf sends

Seeing how we've never come across alien life forms, I'd say it's a little premature to state.
Perhaps but I suspect microbiologist may have a lot to say about this. If there is "gain of function" then there is likely "loss of function" as well. They may have already tested to see how far they can get away from our DNA before likely contagions can affect us. But, I skipped biology, even in HS, so I would want to see who the last person you would ask before saying I should be your last choice, but I still might be. ;)

For all we know, we're one passing meteor away from global extinction.
I think the last dinosaur wrote of deep regret for not having a telescope. But the story is the underground mamillian's buried this story. ;) ['tis Friday!]

Not only whether something is contagious and whether it's DNA/RNA is similar or totally alien to ours, but, also, if it finds the environment here very likeable, would it spread and overtake our planet? Sorta like the asian kudzu in the southern U.S. or zebra mussels in the Great Lakes and other areas.

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
For DNA,
They may have already tested to see how far they can get away from our DNA before likely contagions can affect us
Biologists are making tests and synthesis probes, according to DNA archetype from our Darwinian view.
They hope to build a device that searches for molecules with traits that are theoretically essential for any genetic molecule: traits determined by decades of experimentation with alternatives like hachimoji DNA.

Another admirable deed, we have already took care of possible life on Enceladus.

Just 18 days after these observations of Enceladus, Cassini plunged into Saturn. This ‘self-sacrifice’ ensured that any potentially habitable moons of Saturn wouldn’t be contaminated sometime in the future if the drifting, unpowered spacecraft were to accidentally crash land there.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Bad news for panspermia:

Astronomy September 2021

"New research shows that (tardigrades) can't survive impacting sand at speeds higher than 2,000 mph (3200 km/h). This could place limits on the theory of panspermia, which suggests life arrived on Earth in a meteorite impact".

Cat :)

Tardigrade - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Tardigrade

Tardigrades (/ˈtɑːrdɪɡreɪd/), known colloquially as water bears or moss piglets, are a phylum of eight-legged segmented micro-animals.
Phylum: Tardigrada; Spallanzani‎, 1777‎
Subkingdom: Eumetazoa
Kingdom: Animalia

Some have said that we have strong immunity to alien life forms. I assume they are saying that our DNA structure for our cells will easily reject them so that they can't sneak into our cell system.

Is this correct?

If so, what happens when we grill some alien "cattle" on the grill? Can we digest such dissim

Is this correct?

If so, what happens when we grill some alien "cattle" on the grill? Can we digest such dissimilar bioforms?
Give us some really bad heart burn.

Wolfshadw

Bad news for panspermia:

Astronomy September 2021

"New research shows that (tardigrades) can't survive impacting sand at speeds higher than 2,000 mph (3200 km/h). This could place limits on the theory of panspermia, which suggests life arrived on Earth in a meteorite impact".

Tardigrade - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Tardigrade

Tardigrades (/ˈtɑːrdɪɡreɪd/), known colloquially as water bears or moss piglets, are a phylum of eight-legged segmented micro-animals.
Phylum: Tardigrada; Spallanzani‎, 1777‎
Subkingdom: Eumetazoa
Kingdom: Animalia
Remember, we're not necessarily talking about impact here. Meteors shed bits of themselves as they pass through/bounce off the planet's atmosphere. If the part is small enough it can land softly enough for microbes to survive (I believe).

-Wolf sends

How do we know that we haven't come across some sort of Alien exposure in our long history ? I'm not talking about a being necessarly, it could have been something small we didn't take notice of. And I'm not talking about Ancient Aliens.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

Remember, we're not necessarily talking about impact here. Meteors shed bits of themselves as they pass through/bounce off the planet's atmosphere. If the part is small enough it can land softly enough for microbes to survive (I believe).

-Wolf sends
Good point. There is the additional factor, that we no not necessarily have to meet meteor streams 'head on'. If they are the remnants of asteroid/comet collisions, that body may have been moving roughly in the same as our direction, giving a slow relative impact speed.

Reactions: Lariliss
Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Good point. There is the additional factor, that we no not necessarily have to meet meteor streams 'head on'. If they are the remnants of asteroid/comet collisions, that body may have been moving roughly in the same as our direction, giving a slow relative impact speed.

And recent published study tells us that ‘interstellar visitors - comets, meteors, asteroids and other debris from beyond our solar system - are more common than we think’.

‘The launch of the Vera C. Rubin Observatory, slated for 2022, will "blow previous searches for interstellar objects out of the water," Siraj says, and hopefully help detect many more visitors like Borisov.’

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-inter...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-nwletter

Scientist claim that the tail of a commet passing by may have caused many plagues in our past. Spanish flu for one.

Nearly 1500 years ago, a piece of the Halley's comet is believed to have hit the Earth, setting off a decade-long chain of events that coincides with a plague, thought to be the first appearance of the bubonic plague, that rippled through the Byzantine Empire.

Medieval times , the rats sure didn't help matters. That and unsanitary conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catastrophe

COLGeek

Scientist claim that the tail of a commet passing by may have caused many plagues in our past. Spanish flu for one.

Nearly 1500 years ago, a piece of the Halley's comet is believed to have hit the Earth, setting off a decade-long chain of events that coincides with a plague, thought to be the first appearance of the bubonic plague, that rippled through the Byzantine Empire.

Medieval times , the rats sure didn't help matters. That and unsanitary conditions.
I would love to see credible sources on these topics. Do you have any (other than the rats)?

Reactions: Clovis
I would love to see credible sources on these topics. Do you have any (other than the rats)?
I got it off the internet. All I did was type in did comets ever cause any plagues in our past. And it brought up two pages. I posted part of it about the 1500 years ago. Medieval Bubonic plague was transferred by fleas, from rats . Then people.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

This was the question in post #1:

"Why would we want contact with other forms of life in space, isnt it dangerous for our selfs on earth? What if we find contact with something evil?"

'Bugs in comets' is a bit off topic I think?

Catastrophe

"The shocking revelation threatens to debunk one of the biggest chunks of British history and turn the world of science and academia on its head.
And experts warn another collision with Earth could happen “at any moment” sparking an outbreak of disease capable of wiping out entire populations."

This is all very unscientific imho.
If the asteroid hit, is it going to hit again? Or was it just bits of?
Do all asteroids/comets/meteors carry bugs?
If not, what proportion do? Where do they get these bugs?

OK, There might, just possibly, be the odd instance. If there were, how could one prove the link to the meteoroid?

I don't think this turns science on its head. More like sensationalist attempt to sell newspapers.

Reactions: COLGeek and Clovis

COLGeek

I got it off the internet. All I did was type in did comets ever cause any plagues in our past. And it brought up two pages. I posted part of it about the 1500 years ago. Medieval Bubonic plague was transferred by fleas, from rats . Then people.
I have been vaccinated for various plagues. No doubt there and the science is quite clear.

Comets and other sprinklings from space, not so much.

Obviously we have two different things altogether being discussed here.

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site
Contact with other life forms?

You buy a plot of land, and wish to build a new house.
The guy with the backhoe shows up to dig out the space for the basement and foundation.

There are quite possibly 500 million ants in that 20' x 40' space.

Does he ask the ants already living there if they are OK with this?

One of the ants climbs up the backhoe treads and works his way into the cabin.
He bites the driver on the ankle.

Does the backhoe guy reassess?
'Sorry, Mr. Ant. Maybe we shouldn't do this'

No...he squishes the ant, flicks off the residue, and continues on.

We may be the ants.

yes yes locked file cabinet leopard etc...

Latest posts