Not open for further replies.
M

mwbiggs

Totally cool movie of Io causing a solar eclipse on Ganymede

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2009/1 ... 30b6km32c6

go_anim.gif

C

CalliArcale

I have to go find my shoes and socks now. That video just totally knocked them off.

WOW!!!!!

Me too, that is just incredible.

We are seeing most of the Jupiter facing hemispheres of both Io & Ganymede (obvious really as if they were the anti Jupiter sides, Ganymede would be eclipsing Io, as Ganymede orbits Jupiter at a vastly greater distance than Io). Jupiter is not far off the frame to the right & very slightly in the foreground. Ganymede was 4.035 AU, Io was 4.028 AU & Jupiter 4.022 AU away at the time.

Io clearly displays the darker regions at both polar regions, where the Sulphur is colder than normal away from active volcanic regions & is darker, & on Ganymede both Galileo Regio & Marius Regio are visible, not to mention the shadow of volcanic Io sweeping across the face of the solar system's largest moon Ganymede. Also the bright ejecta from the crater Tros on Ganymede can be made out.

Thank you very much mwbiggs for bringing this here.

Amazing.

Andrew Brown.

M

matthewota

That image is a keeper. Some of the world's best planetary imaging comes from the Phillipines and Hong Kong, where the latitude places the planets high in the sky where there is steadier air. Where I live I have to look though too much air as the planets are lower to the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts