cooling of scopes during summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdicaprio

how much of an issue is this during the summer? i have a new Skyquest XT8 and am new to astronomy so i hope this isnt a bad question. i have read a lot about cooling etc. do i need to be concerned about this in the NY area? or is it generally cool enough at night often times that it isnt an issue?<br /><br />all advice is always appreciated!<br /><br />Pat

V

vogon13

Regardless of your location, or season, you want your scope to be in thermal equilibrium with the ambient air temperature.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

tfwthom

You will not have a major problem. Dobs are the quickest to cool down. Since you are just trying to reach ambient air temp unless you keep your house freezing in the summer and real hot in the winter, taking the scope outside and letting it reach ambient temp should only take about a half hour.<br /><br />SCTs are the worst when it comes to cool down. Sometimes taking hours to reach ambient temp. I've had mine go from the warm house to frosted without even getting any quality observing time.<br /><br />If it seems that it takes too long for you, then add one of those pancake computer fans (they usually run on DC) to the bottom of the tube. You usually see them on the bigger scopes. Besides they seem to help the air currents inside the tube. http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=9701&m= <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts