Cosmonaut Gennady Strekalov dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davf

Damn... this is sad news. Gennady Strekalov became one of those cosmonauts I always tried to keep track of after having had the privelidge of witnessing the Soyuz TM-21 launch. Truly a person with the 'Right Stuff'. Godspeed Gennady.<br /><br />Here's a couple of pics of him (on the right side) before the launch.

D

drwayne

I am an example of the really sad part. With only a few exceptions, I am terribly ignorant of the cosmonauts accomplishments. Hopefully, the sort-tellers will take the time to show us of their heroism - and their momentus place in history.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

R

rvastro

Have a great ride Gennady. Say "HI" to all the other astronauts and cosmonauts for us when you arrive. WOW--imagine the stories all of them are sharing with each other!

D

davf

Wonderful point. This is truly a shame. So many of the flight engineers were around in the earliest days of the Soviet space travel working as engineers for Korolev (perhaps not directly, but those that were around then all have somewhat personal stories about interactions with Korolev). As they pass away, that wonderful and colourful history both from their early days as engineers and later on as cosmonauts is lost. It's a shame that more of it hasn't been published in english (or a shame for me, at least, for not speaking Russian!). A very interesting group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts