Could a black hole ever explode?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ramparts

But dryson, God bless him, is never stopped by such trivialities as physical impossibilities or logical inconsistencies or useless jumbles of misplaced jargon.

U

unordained

kelvinzero":285vjmtg said:
I think there is a reasonably accepted belief that if the universe just keeps on expanding indefinitely then eventually black holes will begin to evaporate using hawking radiation, faster than they pull new mass in. The smaller they get, the faster they will evaporate until finally they will effectively explode, releasing all their remaining mass as energy in a fraction of a second.

is there any basis for determining what said release would look like? I saw an article on detecting a small primodial black hole explosion as radio waves, but would the emission have a signature distinct from (very bright) white noise? Singularities are claimed to have weird effects on entropy, destroying data. Would the black hole's original diet be visible when it died? Would the result possibly include matter, or must the energy necessarily come back out as radiation? With any particular velocity?

K

kyle_baron

Floridian":1q8nv7ct said:
If, for instance, a black hole was losing matter to one or more other black holes, could there be a point where after enough matter was siphoned off, all the materials inside the black hole could extra spontaneously de-compress/expand or explode with heat/energy?

Or would the black hole just be sucked into the other black hole as a singularity? (how much of the mass is orbiting the black hole inside the event horizon and how much is actually inside the singularity or close enough?)

Yes, I've heard that black holes can explode. But this event only occurs after a blackhole has evaporated sufficiently enough to reach a critical mass. I've heard this on these forums, by reputable people.

Also, why couldn't the Big Bang be considered an explosion of white hole matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts