Could extra dimension explain the symetry of early Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJay_A

I just watched the 3D super computing simulations of the early Universe. It is very clear that the Universe is organized in more and more symetry as you look further and further back in time. The more distant in time the simulation takes you, the more symetrical the structure of the Universe appears. The very early Universe takes on an appearence that's so symetrical that if you didn't know what you were looking at, you might think you were looking through the lense of a kaleidoscope!

The symetry is so perfect that it can't possibly have formed as a coincidence. Could it be possible that dimensions beyond the known 4 may have played a role for the creation of such symetry? I couldn't help but be reminded of Rorschach ink blot tests when I saw the symetry in the simulation. Symetry in Rorschach ink blots are the result of two halfs being folded together with wet ink in the center with a pattern emerging when the halfs are unfolded.

The resulting symetrical pattern in Rorschach ink blot is the effect of both halfs of a 2D medium covering one another by means of layering through use of 3D space. Thus, when Rorschach ink blots are unfolded back to 2D space, a symetrical pattern is the result. Could the "dot" of the pre-Big Bang Universe be the "wet ink" in my Rorschach ink blot example, with all existing dimensions (known and unknown) "folded" within it? And could that early Universe symetry be the after-effect of unknown dimensions "unfolding"?

In other words, may it be possible that each symetrical region of our early Universe is connected on top of each other in 3D layers on top of each other in dimensions greater than 3? Could these layers still be connected in extra dimensional space? Could these layers exist today outside our visible Universe, as our line of sight likely curves 90 degrees to an extra dimension at the "edge" of Universe visibility?

R

ramparts

By symmetry are you referring to the uniformity of the Universe back then? The Universe is actually similarly uniform today on very large scales, but of course on smaller scales it's gotten much lumpier. This doesn't require much explanation; it is a natural consequence of the growth of the Universe under physical laws (primarily gravity). Some scientists like talking about it in the language of entropy; the disordering and lumpiness of the Universe is encoded as a growing entropy (which, of course, must always be growing in time).

In fact, there are some scientists who think the direction of time itself is defined by entropy, so that we perceive the future as the future because it's where the entropy is higher :)

M

Mordred

I'll try and dig it up but I just read an article the other day that has findings that show an assymtry in space time. Can't really describe it correctly till I can dig it up but its a recent article. edit found the article its back its dated for 2004 not quite a recent as I thought but here it is
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... ad_dn14098

M

MeteorWayne

Again, New Scientist might not be a proper reference for a Physics forum topic. We'll see.

R

ramparts

As for the article itself: intriguing, and certainly done by some reputable (and very friendly!) folks. But still highly speculative. Highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.