Could Phoenix's arm help push material into that oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Phoenix successfully dumped soil onto the screen covering the first oven, but it won't go through the screen.&nbsp; I was thinking perhaps the arm could push it down so we could see what it takes to get the material into the oven.&nbsp; As is, while there are 7 more ovens, we have no way to ensure that any of the samples will go in.&nbsp; If Phoenix can push down on that oven without risking damage to the others, we might as well try as we would otherwise lose that oven anyway. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Phoenix successfully dumped soil onto the screen covering the first oven, but it won't go through the screen.&nbsp; I was thinking perhaps the arm could push it down so we could see what it takes to get the material into the oven.&nbsp; As is, while there are 7 more ovens, we have no way to ensure that any of the samples will go in.&nbsp; If Phoenix can push down on that oven without risking damage to the others, we might as well try as we would otherwise lose that oven anyway. <br />Posted by willpittenger</font></DIV></p><p><strong><font size="2" color="#000000">Hi willpittenger,</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2" color="#000000">It may come to that yet. Hopefully the TEGA can still 'shake' a few samples through the mesh. Using the arm is risky to say&nbsp;the least. </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2" color="#000000">That arm is strong. It is a copy of the one fitted on the ill fated Mars Polar Lander. The arm is strong enough to drag Phoenix along on the martian surface & can tip Phoenix over. So using the arm to push martian soil through the mesh will be a precision task.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2" color="#000000">Andrew Brown.</font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Phoenix successfully dumped soil onto the screen covering the first oven, but it won't go through the screen.&nbsp; I was thinking perhaps the arm could push it down so we could see what it takes to get the material into the oven.&nbsp; As is, while there are 7 more ovens, we have no way to ensure that any of the samples will go in.&nbsp; If Phoenix can push down on that oven without risking damage to the others, we might as well try as we would otherwise lose that oven anyway. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV><br /><br />I'm sure that's one of the possibilities they are considering <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Phoenix successfully dumped soil onto the screen covering the first oven, but it won't go through the screen.&nbsp; I was thinking perhaps the arm could push it down so we could see what it takes to get the material into the oven.&nbsp; As is, while there are 7 more ovens, we have no way to ensure that any of the samples will go in.&nbsp; If Phoenix can push down on that oven without risking damage to the others, we might as well try as we would otherwise lose that oven anyway. <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;No.</p><p>1. &nbsp; They aren't going to waste this oven</p><p>2.&nbsp; There is nothing to push down</p><p>3.&nbsp; The screen is much deeper in the vehicle&nbsp;</p>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi willpittenger,It may come to that yet. Hopefully the TEGA can still 'shake' a few samples through the mesh. Using the arm is risky to say&nbsp;the least. That arm is strong. It is a copy of the one fitted on the ill fated Mars Polar Lander. The arm is strong enough to drag Phoenix along on the martian surface & can tip Phoenix over. So using the arm to push martian soil through the mesh will be a precision task.Andrew Brown.</p><p>Posted by 3488</DIV><br />Part of the question was whether or not the arm can reach that location.&nbsp; Sure, it can be over the oven doors, but can it touch that area? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

D

docm

And no one thought that having at least one or two ovens with trap doors instead of screens could be useful? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>And no one thought that having at least one or two ovens with trap doors instead of screens could be useful?</p><p>Posted by docm</DIV><br />When I read between the lines, it looks like the screens were used to ensure that only fine particles made it inside.&nbsp; I would probably attempt to solve that with a grinder.&nbsp; I would also move the doors below a funnel and move the chute at the bottom of the funnel from oven to oven. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<p>I can't wait for them to use the shaker again and get sample into the oven so that all this consternation can stop. &nbsp;</p><p>In a worst case scenario, samples will be delivered to the other ovens using methods devised to eliminate the current problem. Only after all the other ovens are used would any drastic measures be considered to get samples into the first oven.&nbsp; By the way, I don't know, but I suspect the scoop could touch the TEGA covers. </p><p>Within a day we will know if the second (only the second!) attempt to shake sample into the oven has succeeded. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Is there any way to disgorge clumps of particles stuck in the screen?&nbsp; I understand it can vibrate the screen to help get stuff to fall through, but if there's a lot of particles that are clogging it up it may become unwieldy.</p><p>Also, how close is the oven to the screen?&nbsp; Would turning the oven on heat up the soil on the screen enough to loosen up any frozen clumps?</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts