Could we use ISS for Orion lander tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I am convinced that ISS can't readily be used as a way station to the Moon. I am not proposing that so please don't jump all over me for that.<br /><br />Rather, I foresee docking prototype landers with ISS during testing. Concept: Lander leaves the station and preforms tests, possibly remotely. It later docks with ISS. The ISS crew then refuel it. Lander then runs more tests. Eventually, as confidence grows, those test might be manned. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

Actually this is a good idea and I wouldn't be surprised to see NASA come up with it. You might want to suggest it to them and at least get credited for it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

T

themanwithoutapast

How do you propose to refuel the lander? You would need the infrastructure at the ISS to do that and a module able to store the required fuel. <br /><br />The new lunar lander will of course be tested in Earth orbit first, however the question is of course 1. will the ISS be around at that time already and 2. is there any benefit to first dock the lander to ISS and complete tests (which requires a docking maneuver etc. etc.) or rather do it the easy way, that is launch it and test it without involving the ISS.

J

jimfromnsf

Not in the cards<br />1. ISS doesn't have the refueling capability nor will it<br />2. nothing gained by using the ISS, it can be done in LEO just like Apollo orginally planned with two launches.<br />3. Actually it will be done that way

H

holmec

Although intriguing...My first question is:<br /><br />Is it really necessary? Or is an Apollo 9 like mission enough? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

T

thereiwas

I would think that the 70-odd degree difference in orbital inclination would make ISS a non-optimal stopping point on the way to the moon.

W

windnwar

If thats the case and it's still there then, dock the lunar lander segment there, and then if the CEV ends up delayed due to weather, etc, there would be less concern about the lunar lander being on orbit for a long duration. While attached the ISS it could use the same power feeds setup for the shuttle to keep it powered up. You could even use the time to have the ISS crew do system health checks. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

T

themanwithoutapast

If thats the case and it's still there then, dock the lunar lander segment there, and then if the CEV ends up delayed due to weather, etc, there would be less concern about the lunar lander being on orbit for a long duration. While attached the ISS it could use the same power feeds setup for the shuttle to keep it powered up. You could even use the time to have the ISS crew do system health checks<br />------<br />The problem is not so much power to the LSAM, rather boil-off issues of the EDS stage. They already have cut down loiter time in orbit from 90 to 30 and now to 14(?) days.

W

windnwar

Sounds like it'd be mostly pointless then. Either that or they need to better insulate the tanks to reduce boil off. I'd figure using Areogel they could reduce tank boil off a decent bit, but who knows. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

T

thereiwas

Actually I discovered there is an "out-of-plane intercept" way of getting to the moon from just about any earth orbit inclination. The downside is that the earth-departure window only opens every 14 days, and it can take slightly more fuel. But not as much more as doing a big orbital plane change first.

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>You might want to suggest it to them and at least get credited for it.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />How? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

Did you bother reading the first paragraph of my post? I am really rather offended that you couldn't bother before replying. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

T

thereiwas

Actually I am supporting your proposal. Not only can you easily get to the moon from ISS (provided you wait for the window), but the fact that ISS <i>today</i> has no refueling facilities that doesn't mean such could not be added. All that in addition to the in-space testing you speak of.

J

jimfromnsf

Sorry, it isn't a good idea.<br /><br />It would increase the hazards around the ISS. And it no value added. <br /><br />The LSAM is going to be tested on the 2nd Ares V flight and go to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts