Question Cyclical Universe

Page 9 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
FYI, a cyclical universe must now wrestle with a new stellar evolution model where white dwarf stars, slowly age into black dwarf stars, and some go supernova. 'Physicists calculate when the last supernova ever will happen', https://phys.org/news/2020-08-physicists-supernova.html. You can read the phys.org report and more detail at the NASA ADS Abstract site.

My observation. This report shows the universe will continue to expand and follow the 2nd Law. White dwarfs can evolve into black dwarfs and some go supernova too. The end is heat death, not eternal inflation or cyclic universe stories. Those who advocate eternal inflation or cyclic universe will now have to confront the black dwarf calculations in this report. The NASA ADS Abstract, 'Black Dwarf Supernova in the Far Future', https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020MNRAS.tmp.2391C/abstract, August 2020. "In the far future long after star formation has ceased the universe will be populated by sparse degenerate remnants, mostly white dwarfs, though their ultimate fate is an open question. These white dwarfs will cool and freeze solid into black dwarfs while pycnonuclear fusion will slowly process their composition to iron-56. However, due to the declining electron fraction the Chandrasekhar limit of these stars will be decreasing and will eventually be below that of the most massive black dwarfs. As such, isolated dwarf stars with masses greater than ∼1.2M☉ will collapse in the far future due to the slow accumulation of iron-56 in their cores. If proton decay does not occur then this is the ultimate fate of about 10^21 stars, approximately one percent of all stars in the observable universe. We present calculations of the internal structure of black dwarfs with iron cores as a model for progenitors. From pycnonuclear fusion rates we estimate their lifetime and thus delay time to be 10^1100 years..."

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I believe in the cyclical theory. It just makes sense to me. No beginning or end, the Universe just 'is', but we can't grasp this as we have limited capabilities.
The Universe seems to me like a pendulum, or a heart constantly beating in space. Nature mimics this motion. If we could 'zoom' time, it would be like this heartbeat - expanding and then contracting. We are just on one expansion cycle and we appear as a nanosecond - a blip on the radar of space. It's hard to imagine eternity as our brains are constantly searching for what is finite.
This cyclical Universe theory could explain phenomena such as 'deja vu' or people believing they have had other lives. Who knows if this could have happened in Universe Time? all matter gets 'thrown back into the pot' and remodelled with the next explosion, just like a piece of rolled plasticine that is remoulded into a new shape.
I can't believe nobody else has come up with this theory until 2002.
There is also something to be said about the power of the number two, or the power of opposites. The Ring. and the Yang. This could all stem from the constant expansion/contraction of our universe. The clues are in what is familiar, as we are all made of the same matter. There is growth and then there is decay.....
Just my musings I'm not a scientist, but I find all of this 'fascinating', as Spock would say!

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
I believe in the cyclical theory. It just makes sense to me. No beginning or end, the Universe just 'is', but we can't grasp this as we have limited capabilities.
The Universe seems to me like a pendulum, or a heart constantly beating in space. Nature mimics this motion. If we could 'zoom' time, it would be like this heartbeat - expanding and then contracting. We are just on one expansion cycle and we appear as a nanosecond - a blip on the radar of space. It's hard to imagine eternity as our brains are constantly searching for what is finite.
This cyclical Universe theory could explain phenomena such as 'deja vu' or people believing they have had other lives. Who knows if this could have happened in Universe Time? all matter gets 'thrown back into the pot' and remodelled with the next explosion, just like a piece of rolled plasticine that is remoulded into a new shape.
I can't believe nobody else has come up with this theory until 2002.
There is also something to be said about the power of the number two, or the power of opposites. The Ring. and the Yang. This could all stem from the constant expansion/contraction of our universe. The clues are in what is familiar, as we are all made of the same matter. There is growth and then there is decay.....
Just my musings I'm not a scientist, but I find all of this 'fascinating', as Spock would say!
Sir/Madam, I would like to request you to read the whole thread.

Reactions: rod

Latest posts