Dark Energy

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nojocujo

i was wondering with all the evidence supporting dark energy if anyone had read the emperors new clothes. No one has yet described it seen it felt it or touched it. There is no energy source identified that would explain it and yet it it dominates the universe. <br /><br />A truism in physics is if it is simple it is beautiful and it is probably right.<br /><br />There is nothing simple about dark energy!

N

nojocujo

Dark Energy as it stands now is antigravity. Had someone claimed they had proof of antigravity who would have listened? Or would they have been taken seriously by their peers? <br /><br />We need to revisit what came before to see if there has been a gigantic blunder. If not then antigravity exists and GR has to be rewritten.

K

kmarinas86

Maybe consumption of space time (formation of postive curvature) implies negative curvature. If you try to pinch a paper towel's center and turn it sideways kind of like a fortune teller (form a cross), you might see how the center is spherical at the tips of you fingers but the outside is hyperbolic. Note that in a paper towel is not a perfect replication of space-time continuum, so it will have perhaps 4 hills and 4 valleys. You must hold the paper towel sideways or else earth's gravity will skew your results.

N

nojocujo

What we have been discussing regarding a spacetime expansion in a contracting universe represents that spacetime consumption. I think that a consumption would still stay within the constraints of the laws of conservation. Positive and negative curvatures. <br /><br />By jove I think you're getting it! :)

R

rumsfeld46

I had a thought and wanted to toss it out there for a response. I was thinking that the "Dark Energy" astronomers are looking for might just be light itself. After all there is allot of light in the universe in many spectrums other then just visible light.

N

nec208

I thought the Dark Energy is the expedition of the Universe and the Dark Matter is the black of space that cannot be detected on a atomic level.<br /><br />Matter 4 classification solid, liquid, and gas all detected on a atomic level well Dark Matter has NOT bean detected .<br /><br />And it may never be detected just like there is no device to day to see sound waves or radio waves.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

Dark energy is known to not interact through any of the primary forces except for gravity and in that case it's repulsive, not attractive. Since DE doesn't interact through the electromagnetic force and photons ("light") are that forces carrier light is out.<br /><br />Since the WMAP data came in DE is thought to be Einsteins cosmological constant, an intrinsic energy density of the vacuum. When the volume of the universe doubles the density of dark matter (whatever it is, likely several things) is halved, but the density of dark energy is nearly unchanged (it is after all a "constant"), which is how it drives cosmic expansion. <br /><br /><font color="yellow">Matter 4 classification solid, liquid, and gas</font><br /><br />Solid, Liquid, Gas plus;<br /><br />Plasma (the most common state in the visible universe; stars etc.)<br />Superfluids (supercooled liquids with zero viscosity, zero entropy & infinite thermal conductivity)<br />Bose-Einstein Condensate (BEC; when supercooled a large percentage of atoms collapse to the lowest quantum state & quantum effects show at the macroscopic scale)<br />Fermionic Condensate (similar to BEC but with fermions; 1/2 integer spin particles. One example: the state of electrons in a superconductor)<br />Degenerate Matter (has sufficiently high density that the dominant pressure is due to the Pauli exclusion principle; no two identical fermions may occupy the same quantum state simultaneously)<br /><br />and possibly;<br /><br />String-Net Liquid (theoretical; atoms do not line up in opposing "spins", but as if they had partial spins or charges. ex: Herbertsmithite whose electrons are arranged in a triangular Kagome lattice)<br /><br />Quark-Gluon Plasma (theoretical; nearly free quarks and gluons; existed 20 to 30 u/sec. after the big bang) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts