De-materialization

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GreenAce92

So when I think of De-materialization (well I think of Stargate Sg-1) but, I think of us having to have to first understand how to construct pretty much everything by atom and do it in real-time. Also we have to be able to take the objects, take them apart into atoms and know the net atoms we have and the make up amount of each object. Then I suppose we could convert the matter into energy and "beem" it away...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMB8mik0-qQ&feature=fvw

I mean I think of this like a box of k'nex, you have a roller coaster, you dis-assemble it and figure out how many pieces total you have, and the amount per makeup of each component, like a percentage. Then you could put all the stuff in a bag transport it and then re-assemble it based on plans etc...

Stargate in my opinion the concepts' they talk about seem so feasible almost realistic
I can't wait till we have starships

S

Shpaget

The difference is that you need to transport energy, not atoms (pieces).

S

StarRider1701

And we'd need computers that are WAAAAAAY better than anything we can even dream about today.
At least for any even semi-complex animal like an insect. Simple cargo might not be as hard, especially something like a peice of steel or aluminum or glass or simple stuff like that.

O

OleNewt

And we'd need computers that are WAAAAAAY better than anything we can even dream about today.
At least for any even semi-complex animal like an insect. Simple cargo might not be as hard, especially something like a peice of steel or aluminum or glass or simple stuff like that.

With the army of lawyers waiting to ream you out when someone figures out something messed up during the transit? Such issues are going to end up creating all kinds of "9-11" events before we figure out the workaround. You know they're going to have ways to validate the transfer, so it's not like you can fool anyone that your tech screwed up.

Y

yevaud

There are several "matter transport" possibilities. I'm not saying they're feasible, merely possible.

Stargate: what this is, in effect, is known as a "Ring Singularity." The Stargate is in effect a device that provides/directs the negative energy/matter holding a normally microscopic-sized wormhole open to useful dimensions.

BSG: Clearly, this is some sort of Quantum jump effect. But what happens here is that everything tunnels as a unitary whole. There is no deconstruction down to just data/broadcast/reassembly at reception point. (The BSG jump effect is an old SF convention).

In point of fact, deconstruction such as that would in essence kill you. You would be dead. What would be reconstructed at the other end would be a nifty copy of you - but not you.

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":1eijrpk2 said:
In point of fact, deconstruction such as that would in essence kill you. You would be dead. What would be reconstructed at the other end would be a nifty copy of you - but not you.

And that was one of Bones' beefs. He hated transporters and transporting. But the Federation apparently had the legal angle worked out. Since "you" were dead by dematerialization, the only "you" left was the one that rematerialize at the other end. Hence, the new you was considered to be you for all legal intents and purposes.

I once read a short story about the first transporter to be approved for human use. They had been using the transporters for non-human cargo and had a system of them set up. To prove it was safe, a movie star was sent through a series of transports. She came back exactly as she left - almost. This transporter used mirrors to image and recreate the image. Mirror images are a tiny bit smaller... She came back after I don't remember how many transports, only to reappear something like one third her original size. I think this was even an old TZ or Outer Limits episode.

M

Mee_n_Mac

StarRider1701":2bvmqn02 said:
yevaud":2bvmqn02 said:

And that was one of Bones' beefs. He hated transporters and transporting. But the Federation apparently had the legal angle worked out. Since "you" were dead by dematerialization, the only "you" left was the one that rematerialize at the other end. Hence, the new you was considered to be you for all legal intents and purposes.

I once read a short story about the first transporter to be approved for human use. They had been using the transporters for non-human cargo and had a system of them set up. To prove it was safe, a movie star was sent through a series of transports. She came back exactly as she left - almost. This transporter used mirrors to image and recreate the image. Mirror images are a tiny bit smaller... She came back after I don't remember how many transports, only to reappear something like one third her original size. I think this was even an old TZ or Outer Limits episode.

One of the "'new" OL shows addressed this issue. An alien species had developed transporter tech and you could visit their planet via it. A sending station was manned by a human who "prep" the humans for transport. Of course what really happens is that you're analyzed and the info is sent to Planet X. Once a copy there is made, the original was to be destroyed by the human, normally all part of the transport process. Alas there's a foul up in communications and the message that the copy was succesfully made was not sent to the human who then doesn't carry out his duty to destroy the original. Now we have two identical people and this is not allowed by the aliens who press the station keeper to destroy the original, now conscious and aware of her situation, like he was supposed to do. Is it OK for you to die if your copy still is alive ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Like ... ter_Limits)

S

Shpaget

Wow, nice mixup... but easy to figure out...
Just tell the original person that the machine is fixed and she can attempt another go. Then you kill her. :D

H

HRacct

Nice thought, unless you end up with the problem of the movie, Multiplicity, and have copies of copies of copies of Michael Keaton(?). The third and fourth copies were a little degraded. But on second thought, forget that, WRONG concept, or thot. Those are clones, not transported copies.

But did you hear about the professor who could not keep good help, because he was so hard to work for. So, he decided to make a copy of himself, and have his clone work for him. But when it was done, the clone was made of all the bad stuff of the professor, and even the professor could not stand him any longer.

One day he found an opportunity to push him down the garden stairs and the clone died. The police came to arrest him and he said you can't arrest me for killing myself. And they said, wrong charge, we are arresting you for, making an obsene clone fall!!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!! An obsene PHONE CALL, for those not so blessed with a twisted sense of humor.

G

GreenAce92

I don't know I plan on cutting that wait... it's funny watching movies like "Blade Runner" these movies are set nearly this time and we still aren't really near there... these cars it's like they float so easily our hovering vehicles are like bricks with rocket engines on them... a simple land speeder from star wars is that so hard? lol

2019 its like "perfect artificial intelligence, exact copies of humans" you could be doing a robot and not know it (gross) it's like what has happened? Where is our technological boom? I think we really need to fund these third world countries, educate these kids, kids like I who came from such, where it not be for the education here, I would have been kept ignorant and powerless (government) and the whole "knowledge is power" concept. I think if given the opportunity some of these kids are brilliant but they don't have a chance to express it or utilize it, it's more important to work to live rather than use the ol' gray matter.

Also being transported dead.... do you think so? Why is that it wouldn't copy our neurotransmitter paths and our neurological pathways (haha neuro is my only word that I know aside from other small things) and thus copying our "recorded memories" and "experiences"? In essence what makes' us, us. Also is it possible for a human to live without a conscience? How could we tell?

Lastly my father is in a nursing home, he's suffered 4 major strokes and minor ones and these are his fault (drinking, smoking, hi cholesterol, life style etc...) but my Mother or someone told me that it is possible that in his mind, in his conscience he understands what's going on but he can't express it. Now if that were true... that must be like a living hell....

Also when I become succesful (see I'm optimistic) I plan on donating some of the money to such mentioned problems, education for the poor etc.. that is if I'm allowed to... Cunningham Industries Space Propulsion Systems and Aeronautics or something... or Cunningham Industries Research and Development CIRD... ooo I like that haha

I envision myself becoming like Tony Stark one day from Iron Man lol, smart and has all the toys haha :roll:

Z

ZenGalacticore

All the things to think about when we consider "de-materialization", transmission of atomic and sub-atomic components from Pad 'A', to Pad 'B' -no matter how far Pad 'A' is from Pad 'B'- and all you guys seem concerned about is lawyers and the legal ramifications. :lol:

Well, in order to allieviate this fear and pre-occupation with lawyers and the legal process, I suggest that more science-minded people study law and history; and more law and history-minded people study science. And they can fuse, one with the other, in "Political Science". hehe. (And that we all ignore 90% of the blogs and posts at SDC in general, or in cyberspace in particular.*) There's a reason why the U.S.A. is a republic, and NOT a direct democracy.

*I know that sounds a bit "funny"; but it's actually a compliment to everyone here who possesses a well developed brain and mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts