Deep Space Network Equipment History

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of equipment used in the Deep Space Network. I acquired a bunch of equipment through an auction that contained about three server racks of "electronic boxes" with DSN stickers. I realize this is a shot in the dark, but I have come up empty so far. I think Covid might have something to do with that, emails and phone calls to JPL have gone mostly unanswerd. Any ideas where I can get this stuff looked at by knowledgeable people would be appreciated.

I think this is my first time "posting a thread", if anyone has additional advice regarding that, that would be cool too.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
I don't know yet. I was hoping to find out exactly what I have, if it has some sort of significance historically than I want to find it a proper home.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
The forerunner of the Deep Space Network (DSN) was established in January, 1958, when the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, or JPL – then under contract to the U.S. Army – deployed portable radio tracking stations in Nigeria, Singapore, and California.

PrepaidCardStatus Login

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
I found out yesterday from a JPL archivist that the equipment that I have was active and operational in the Deep Space Network. I have equipment that have green "GO" stickers form 1968 and 1969, pre-dating Apollo 11 and Apollo 13. I also found out that the DSIF (this pre-dates the DSN) and DSN were used in voice communications when they were trying to conserve power. This happened when they split the lunar lander from the main module, when they landed on the moon. Or in Apllo 13. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.