• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

Detecting orbit changes from gravity assist flybies

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Can we detect the changes to a planet's or moon's orbit after a flyby from an artificial spacecraft yet? Obiviously, there would a delta-v change, but could we detect that change with our current technology? I assume the spacecraft making the flyby would be unable to help. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

V

vogon13

In the case of Jupiter (per the Voyagers) deflection of Jupiter was less than a micron.<br /><br />Over trillions of years I suppose the effect adds up, Jupiter might arrive at perihelion seconds later than had it not been molested.<br /><br /><br />Relax, there is bigger stuff to worry about.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

W

willpittenger

I wasn't worried. I asked as a way of measuring how sensitive modern telescopes are. I figure we could detect the changes to a small moon (say Europa) more readily than Jupiter (which would include ALL its moons for whatever that would be worth). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts