disappearing star

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimijohnson

Did anyone witness a dissapearing star last night? It happened around 11pm on Aug 2nd. Sorry for the crude location. It was seen from Orillia Ont, Canada. You had to be facing south and it was between 1 and 2 o'clock( if directly up equals 12 o'clock.) It lasted no more that 45 sec. it got very bright and then faded and dissapeared. It never moved from its location. This seems very quick. Any thoughts on what it could be?

H

heyscottie

A couple of possibilities:<br /><br />1) Clouds. Maybe you are pretty sure it wasn't clouds, but don't be too quick to judge! Sometimes it can be very difficult to see a cloud in a certain area, and the stars in that region do just appear to fade out. This is more likely on the horizon, where this was.<br /><br />2) Geosynchronous satellite. It could have been reflecting at you when you started looking, and as the orbit progressed, you lost the reflection and it faded. A geosynchronous satellite from your location would appear to be south, somewhat low on the horizon, just where you saw this.

H

heyscottie

Iridium Flare? Not if it never appeared to move from its location. Otherwise, I might agree.

J

jimijohnson

I am not convinced that Iridium Flare is the answer. And yes, it was a clear night and never moved. Is it possible that something could have moved infront of the actual star causing the light to magnify?

J

jimmysvibing

I saw the same type of event you did...no movement for my event either...check out my post "dimming star-did you see it?" posted 8/1/05. I'm still waiting for a better explaination also.

M

mach12

September 12 2009 black creek vancouver island around 9:45 i was thinking about getting back into working out again but my bench press is outside, and it was dark. So i did some streches and thought ohwell its nice and clear out ill lay down and check out some stars and do some sets did one set of 10 warm up reps and noticed i was able to focus on my work out better if i concetrated on the one star in the middle of my vison. When I finished the warm up set, I was just laying there, taking abit of a rest looking at that star I was looking at and I noticed a bit of twinkle but it wasent just a twinkle it looked like a small orbiting sphere that shot around the star like a little firework Than i thought to my self wow cool I wonder if all the stars flare like that every once in a while. So I dicided to do another set, using my concentration trick i figured out i was still looking up there at that star. After that one I was having a little rest and that star did the same thing again than steadly faded away. I was shocked and amazed than i got freaked out a bit ran up to the house opened the door and the cat let out the most terrorizing horrifying scream almost sounding like it was scared than the cats scream made me scream than the dog came running barking and running out the door barking like crazy. I was acctuwally scared to go into the basement to see what the cats was contiually hissing at, in the end i musterd up the courage to check it out, and the cats where just either acting weird hidding or hunting rats it was scary lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts