Do Chickadees have an inherited star map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Back in 1965 Vitus B. Droscher reported in chapter 13 of his book “The Mysterious Senses of Animals” that blackcap chickadees had an inherited celestial star map. <br /><br />The experiments were done in the Olbers Planetarium of the Bremen Maritime Academy by German zoologist Dr. Franz Sauer and his wife.<br /><br />Essentially, blackcaps navigate at night and can do so when it is partly cloudy but not when it is overcast. <br /><br />The Sauers used blackcaps hatched without being exposed to the night sky, and their navigation had to be inherited, not learned.<br /><br />Do we have any updates in the research done on blackcaps in the last 40 years?<br /><br />BTW - this was a very old thread, I think. I forget the answers posted!

B

billslugg

Magnetite based navigational clues rotate with the Earth. These Chickadees are able to navigate relative to the celestial sphere. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

D

docm

Magnetite has also been found in the human brain. IRRC it was in 1992. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

X

xmo1

The North Pole and the North Celestial Pole point in the same direction. Magnetic is only slightly off course. Anyway, I'll take a look at the text. It looks interesting. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

K

kmarinas86

<font color="yellow">The experiments were done in the Olbers Planetarium of the Bremen Maritime Academy by German zoologist Dr. Franz Sauer and his wife.</font><br /><br />Was the planetarium aligned with the true night sky? If not, then it appears that this has little to do with magnetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts