Question Do you think that there are Earths out side of our Solar System?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Do you think that there are Earths out side of our Solar System?

• Total voters

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
"All the stars and planets are made of the same elements and that makes me believe life on other planets isn't that much different from ours because it likely formed from DNA programmed to adapt to its surroundings as it evolves into many life forms."

Don't you think that the diversity of life within Earth (which is all we have observed) based on carbon is reaching its limits. Look at the % extinction of species which has already occurred to refine to the point we are at today?

Cat :)

May 1, 2021
Visit site
"All the stars and planets are made of the same elements and that makes me believe life on other planets isn't that much different from ours because it likely formed from DNA programmed to adapt to its surroundings as it evolves into many life forms."

Don't you think that the diversity of life within Earth (which is all we have observed) based on carbon is reaching its limits. Look at the % extinction of species which has already occurred to refine to the point we are at today?

I believe we've only seen a small percentage of what DNA is capable of doing. Perhaps 200 million years from now, life on this planet will look much different. If man can survive 200 million more years, I expect today's man to look rather crude and idiotic in comparison - the same way we view lesser mammals.

When I look at all the credible videos collected on UFO's and their physics-defying feats, I have to wonder if there is a shortcut to space travel that violates the speed of light. If we are being visited by beings or robots from other planets or other universes, what that tells us is we have a lot higher to climb on the evolutionary scale and a lot more to discover. I'm still scratching my head about all of this, but find it hard to believe all the strange events being attributed to UFO's are hoaxes. I don't believe any country is technologically capable of doing what is claimed of these objects. A lot of UFO information is about to be released and I'm becoming more fascinated by it all. My biggest hope is that visitors from elsewhere are on the verge of preventing us from self-destructing. There are claims of UFO's temporarily disabling nuclear missile controls just to make a point.

Catastrophe

Of course, I only said Don't you think that the diversity of life within Earth (which is all we have observed) based on carbon is reaching its limits. Look at the % extinction of species which has already occurred to refine to the point we are at today?" The bit above that was my quoting, as evidenced by the quote marks.

May 1, 2021
Visit site
Yes, but the latest estimate is ~ 2 trillion galaxies, though the more distant ones are smaller ones still merging with neighbors.
I haven't looked at recent estimates. That's an amazing number if the galaxies we can't see are still there. The light coming from the most distant galaxies we can see is a little over 13 billion years old. Those galaxies have gone through a lot of changes in that much time. Do they still exist? Did black holes consume some of them? Did they merge with other galaxies? Has something else happened to them?

I haven't looked at recent estimates. That's an amazing number if the galaxies we can't see are still there. The light coming from the most distant galaxies we can see is a little over 13 billion years old. Those galaxies have gone through a lot of changes in that much time. Do they still exist? Did black holes consume some of them? Did they merge with other galaxies? Has something else happened to them?
The 2 trillion estimate is based upon the number of galaxies that we can see, though many are highly redshifted. This is based on what was seen last year using gravity lensing from galaxy clusters, as well as, another technique used independently. Both efforts came up with the same 2 trillion value, IIRC.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

Do you think that there are Earths out side of our Solar System?

Depends what you mean by Earths.
Absolutely the same in all respects? No.
In almost all other possible combinations? Yes, possibly.
By this I mean same size but too distant from star - no intelligent life.
Similar size and temperature - some form of life, however simple.
Too close to star - maybe too hot for most/all life forms.
Depends what you mean by Earths.

IMO only one earth, lots of earthlike places but most moons around big planets.

Even if the universe goes on forever gravity interference of Earth/you or other BB areas will never allow an exact copy of Earth or you.
Infinite difference even in an infinite universe.

Reactions: Catastrophe
May 1, 2021
Visit site
The 2 trillion estimate is based upon the number of galaxies that we can see, though many are highly redshifted. This is based on what was seen last year using gravity lensing from galaxy clusters, as well as, another technique used independently. Both efforts came up with the same 2 trillion value, IIRC.
Thanks for updating me. That is 10X the last number I heard on Nova or some other science program.

There's just no way we're the only intelligent species in this universe. This universe may only be a fraction of everything in existence. Reality may be so complicated, not even the most intelligent beings in this universe will be able to comprehend it.

Catastrophe

For what it's worth:

"Our Trillion-Galaxy Universe" in "Cosmos Origin and Fate of the Universe" by Christopher J Conselice,
Astronomy Special Issue, October 2020.

"Astronomers have learned that their previous estimate of the number of galaxies in the cosmos was slightly off - by more than 1 trillion. . . . . . . . . . When we count the galaxies throughout the whole history of the Universe, we arrive at a total of 2 trillion. This is at least a factor of 10 higher than we previously thought."

Latest posts