Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse?

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

origin

LogicianSolutions":2bhe057i said:
Could the anicient Maya's have know about some meteor earth will hit? Yep, their math and calculations of hevenly bodies blows me away far more then the various piles of stones stacked around the world including their own.

Of course not. That is absurd - the didn't even have telescopes! They did an amazing job with the tools they had but to elevate there knowledge to anything past the age of Galileo is silly!

1: Is there some sort of debri field in orbit between the sun's gravitational center and the galaxy's gravitational center that the earth will pass through?

No, the above scenario is impossible.

2: What effect will the gravity change have on the human mind? I'e heard experts these days often say the full moon has no effect on the human mind. Yet a lot of cops dealing with people mentally on the edge say other wise.

Oh fercryinoutloud. Pure BS. You do realize when there is a quarter moon in the sky it is not really a quarter of the mass? The gravitational affect of a quarter moon is identical to the gravitational affect of a full moon. If the gravitational affects were real it should be worst during no moon, becasue then the gravity of the sun and the moon would be combined.

3: Does our military have a way to deal with some meteor/comit strikes into our planet? I believe they do despite of whatever NASA is and whatever the UN dictates. I'm not looking for conformation because the moment they did you'd have all the leftist out there screaming for it to be either dismantled or given over to UN control. Two ideas which are dumber then dumb. I have faith in science and humanity

Nope we would be toast, we would need alot more than a couple of years. You have faith in science? Not according to bullet #2!

C

CalliArcale

I cleaned up your double post for ya, LogicianSolutions. ;) It's not a problem. We all get itchy click fingers at some point.

To add to what origin said:

The ancient Maya knew about the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn; they did not know about any of the minor planets, as they lacked the instruments to see them. They did an impressive job with what they had, but they did not know about heliocentrism, nor did they know about relativity (which is required to predict the motions of Mercury). What the *were* able to predict were equinoxes and solstices, and the motion of the Moon. These are the important things to predict when you're doing organized agriculture, as they were.

So while their predictions and observations are indeed impressive, they would not have been able to predict when some meteor would strike the Earth.

1: Is there some sort of debri field in orbit between the sun's gravitational center and the galaxy's gravitational center that the earth will pass through?

The Sun doesn't move towards the galactic center; it moves in a rough sine pattern around the plane of the galactic disk. Not exactly an orbit, but kind of resembling one, superficially. It does move through areas of greater or lesser density, and there's always the chance of running into some kind of a debris field or other extrasolar object. There's no way to predict this, though.

2: What effect will the gravity change have on the human mind? I'e heard experts these days often say the full moon has no effect on the human mind. Yet a lot of cops dealing with people mentally on the edge say other wise.</i>

The full moon has no effect whatsoever on the human mind. However, it does have a significant affect on illumination, and crimes are easier to commit when you can see what you're doing. (Because of this, ironically good lighting is not always helpful in deterring crime. It deters certain specific crimes, but encourages others.) This effect was very strong in years past, but with modern lighting in urban areas, it's becoming much less significant.

There is a lot of confirmation bias at work in hospital ERs and police departments, though, and even those who swear they see an effect often discover that the effect disappears when they actually plot out the data instead of just going with their gut feeling.

3: Does our military have a way to deal with some meteor/comit strikes into our planet? I believe they do despite of whatever NASA is and whatever the UN dictates. I'm not looking for conformation because the moment they did you'd have all the leftist out there screaming for it to be either dismantled or given over to UN control. Two ideas which are dumber then dumb. I have faith in science and humanity

No, they don't. At present, there frankly isn't anything they could do about it. The best we've got is a few astronomical groups which track potentially hazardous objects and try to see if any of them are a serious problem. The biggest is funded by NASA. Even they're seriously underfunded, though.

4: Numerous governments around the world have stock piles of natural non hybred non genetically alterd seeds in cold storage complexes. There are many reasons for this but they're to humanity what the second amend is to the US, the last fail safe.

The best is up on Svalbard, which is so far north that there's a good chance it'd stay frozen in all but the very worst of disasters. It's not clear exactly how it would be used in the event of an actual apocalypse, though. It's hard to predict what would happen when civilization collapses.....

G

Giulio

There is indication that the polarity of the Earth's magnetic feild is reversing. I don't quite know how this is related to the mayan prediction of doom, but I have heard the two subjects uttered in the same discussion - somewhere. Speculation of this pole flip run from almost no effect to flopping the Earth over physically (you know, where the sun would rise in the west and set in the east). The latter would be devastating indeed! Any thoughts?

O

origin

Giulio":37og2vos said:
There is indication that the polarity of the Earth's magnetic feild is reversing. I don't quite know how this is related to the mayan prediction of doom, but I have heard the two subjects uttered in the same discussion - somewhere. Speculation of this pole flip run from almost no effect to flopping the Earth over physically (you know, where the sun would rise in the west and set in the east). The latter would be devastating indeed! Any thoughts?

The poles have flipped many many times. The evidence can be seen in many places - one of the best is the orientation of the magnetic domains in the atlantic ocean basin that are associated with sea floor spreading. The magentic poles have nothing to do with the rotation of the earth. A pole flip will likely increase the amount of radiation that is received on earth (during the flip). The flip has almost no chance of happening in 2012 - it will most likely occurr thousands of years from now.

G

Giulio

Thank you Origin, I am aware of the 10,000 or so other times in the past that the poles have flipped. But there was no one around 780,000 years ago (the last such event), to have witnessed the result, (at least no one to record it), therefore any prediction of the effects of such a flip is pure speculation. As I said, theories vary from minor to catastrophic. The flip can begin at any time (there is no set interval) and the process could last up to a thousand years to fully "flip". During this time, radiation, electrical disruptions and general chaos would make our modern lives (and the lives of many species of animal who rely on Earth's magnetism) very miserable. The worst case scenario I've read about is a complete planetary toppling. Briefly, the magnetic poles are the result of an intense magnetic field enveloping the entire planet (like a bar magnet). The field's force is strongly tied to the core which generates it. A flip , it is speculated, can cause the core to physically flip along with it (like a magnet would flip over if you switch the flow of electrons through it), thus causing an imbalance that my flip the whole planet head over heels.

To clarify, I was wondering if anything in this galactic alignment that is to occur would have any effect on our magnetic field and perhaps aid the process of a polarity shift which some scientists believe may already be in progress. As for the results of the flip, it's all speculation. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my last post.

E

eburacum45

Giulio":3ut6bf8r said:
Thank you Origin, I am aware of the 10,000 or so other times in the past that the poles have flipped. But there was no one around 780,000 years ago (the last such event), to have witnessed the result, (at least no one to record it), therefore any prediction of the effects of such a flip is pure speculation.
There are very few, if any, observed effects of previous pole flips in the fossil record, so magnetic pole flips seem to have little effect on the biosphere.
The worst case scenario I've read about is a complete planetary toppling. Briefly, the magnetic poles are the result of an intense magnetic field enveloping the entire planet (like a bar magnet). The field's force is strongly tied to the core which generates it. A flip , it is speculated, can cause the core to physically flip along with it (like a magnet would flip over if you switch the flow of electrons through it), thus causing an imbalance that my flip the whole planet head over heels.
Do you have any sources for that? The magnetic field is many orders of magnitude too weak to cause a flip in the rotation of the planet; no major polar shift is believed to have happened since the Precambrian, as far as I know. (see Maloof and Halverson 2006).

To clarify, I was wondering if anything in this galactic alignment that is to occur would have any effect on our magnetic field and perhaps aid the process of a polarity shift which some scientists believe may already be in progress. As for the results of the flip, it's all speculation. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my last post.

There is no galactic alignment. The only 'galactic alignment' in the current period is between the Winter Solstice and the apparent location of the Galactic Centre; this 'alignment' is off by several degrees, and occured in 1999.

G

Giulio

The worst case scenario I've read about is a complete planetary toppling. Briefly, the magnetic poles are the result of an intense magnetic field enveloping the entire planet (like a bar magnet). The field's force is strongly tied to the core which generates it. A flip , it is speculated, can cause the core to physically flip along with it (like a magnet would flip over if you switch the flow of electrons through it), thus causing an imbalance that my flip the whole planet head over heels.
Do you have any sources for that? The magnetic field is many orders of magnitude too weak to cause a flip in the rotation of the planet; no major polar shift is believed to have happened since the Precambrian, as far as I know. (see Maloof and Halverson 2006).
I'm really not making this stuff up. I thought someone was too when I first heard about it. I personally heard of it first on a documentary on the history channel which then lead me to read about it more. A quick search on google reveals quite a few articles on the subject. Here is one: http://www.nasca.org.uk/Strange_relics_ ... ersal.html
Here is another very interesting though controversial article on physical pole shifting: http://habtheory.com/1/hab1.php

G

Giulio

There is no galactic alignment. The only 'galactic alignment' in the current period is between the Winter Solstice and the apparent location of the Galactic Centre; this 'alignment' is off by several degrees, and occured in 1999.
Excerpt from http://alignment2012.com/whatisga.htm

The Galactic Alignment is the alignment of the December solstice sun with the Galactic equator. This alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equinoxes.

Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years. Because the sun is one-half of a degree wide, it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the Galactic equator (see diagram below).

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997).
Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

This Galactic Alignment occurs only once every 26,000 years, and was what the ancient Maya were pointing to with the 2012 end-date of their Long Count calendar.

E

eburacum45

Giulio":39iv1po7 said:
I'm really not making this stuff up. I thought someone was too when I first heard about it.
No, I know you aren't. But a lot of people are making it up, and they are either deliberate liars or very foolish. Take all these tales with a very large pinch of salt.
I personally heard of it first on a documentary on the history channel which then lead me to read about it more. A quick search on google reveals quite a few articles on the subject. Here is one: http://www.nasca.org.uk/Strange_relics_ ... ersal.html
New Age Nonsense.
There is no evidence of significant, rapid pole change since the Precambrian.
Here is another very interesting though controversial article on physical pole shifting: http://habtheory.com/1/hab1.php

See the first comment; this is certainly controversial, and also nonsense.

Giulio":39iv1po7 said:
Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

The closest alignment between the Galactic plane occured in 1998 (not 1999 as I stated earlier). The Sun is now moving away from the galactic plane at each solstice. The period described in that link is 36 years long; that is an awfully large error bar. In all probability the Mayan calendar has nothing to do with this alignment, and it is no more than a coincidence.
Note that the galactic 'plane' itself is an almost arbitrary astronomical concept in this context. It repesents an imaginary lne drawn in the sky so that half of the Milky Way as seen from Earth is above it, and half is below it. This plane is distinct from the true midplane of the Galaxy, which is several tens of light years way from our location (and we are travelling away from it).

E

eburacum45

Note as well that the Sun passes over the Galactic plane twice a year, every year, and there are no significant effects, since (as I said before) the galactic plane is an arbitrary line in the sky. The coincidence of the summer solstice and the crossing of the galactic plane is of no significance, and as each planet in our solar system has a different solstice, this has no significance to any other planet in our system.

M

matthewota

Nine times out of ten, the web site that you go to to "learn" about the 2012 apocalypse will try to sell you a DVD or a book on the topic. This is what motivates people to come up with this garbage. They want to separate you from your money.

I bemoan the fact that today's schools do not teach critical thinking skills. Or if they do, the students are just not listening.

I am 51 years old. Every five years or so some charlatan comes out with end of the world schemes, usually with books that become bestsellers. Now they make web sites and DVDs.

In 1973 it was "The Jupiter Effect". In 1997 it was "Hale Bopp" (remember the Heaven's Gate cult, and how they offed themselves over some nonsense?). In 1987 it was "The Harmonic Convergence"

I will not even mention the religious apocalyptic movements.

It is all BALONEY. I will see you in 2013......

M

MeteorWayne

This thread has been alive long enough. It is now dead; I am closing it. For information about the Nibiru, 2012, and other foolishness, there is a pinned thread in The Unexplained" for this discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18547

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts