Does Musk really not think he'll get to Mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pmdpmd

Quote from usatoday.com: <br /><br />"Regardless of the merits of a moon trip, Musk, 36, and Friedman, 67, don't think they'll live to see humans step onto the powdery red surface of Mars"<br /><br />http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070926/1a_cover26.art.htm<br /><br />I thought I previously read that Musk was intending to eventually colonize Mars - let alone walk on it!<br /><br />Paul.

J

j05h

USAToday is not the most reliable source for space and science reporting. I can see Louis Freedman saying that about Mars, but Elon Musk has said previously that he wants his own company, SpaceX, to fly people to Mars. Ergo, in his lifetime. He personally wants to go, so the USAToday quote makes no sense.<br /><br />The reporter should have included actual quotes, otherwise it is suspicious.<br /><br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

L

larper

The difference, though, is that the space race, and the eventual landing on the Moon, were integrally tied into the Cold War. Today, there is no convolving the war on terror with the space program. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

Q

qso1

crazyeddie:<br />I had to laugh at this quote from the article.<br /><br />Me:<br />That makes two of us. There is always something that Americans are preoccupied with as a reason we don't go back to the moon or go to mars. Its as though nothing happened from 1957-69 when in reality, that was one of the most turbulent times in American history and like you said, we still managed to go to the moon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

pmdpmd:<br />I thought I previously read that Musk was intending to eventually colonize Mars - let alone walk on it!<br /><br />Me:<br />IIRC, Musk was the one proposing a one way colonization of mars just a few months back. I could be wrong. <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

spacester

<font color="yellow">. . . were integrally tied into the Cold War.</font><br /><br />More generally, the first space race was driven by a Strategic Imperative to stay ahead of the Soviets. IMO we now face a time when the Strategic Imperative to remain the leaders in space is stronger then ever in our history. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts