Does This Novel Ring Any Bells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junkheap

There's a book from my childhood that I'm trying to find, but I don't remember the title. I think my mother sold it at a yard sale.

The only details I remember from it is that it involved a family and they had an alien six-legged pet with color-changing mood fur. When their ship was going faster than light they had to navigate using neutrino-sensitive instruments.

I think there was a picture of the pet on the book cover illustration.

Does this ring any bells with anybody? It's driving me crazy! :shock:

S

StarRider1701

That sounds like it might be an old Heinlein book, The Star Beast I think was the title. Not 100% sure tho... :roll:

J

jim48

Sounds like an Area 51 story to me. :lol: It could also be The Star Beast. ;)

J

junkheap

No, that's not it. :cry:

Here are a couple of other details that I remember:

The pet wasn't the main focus of the story and it stayed small and I distinctly remember that it had fur that would change color depending on its mood.

There was an anecdote about a tragic accident that happened with another ship in the past where it was travelling in FTL mode and the ship and her crew were obliterated when it hit a speck of dust.

The screens they used to navigate while going in FTL mode looked like a negative with space showing up as white and the stars showing up as black.

I think there was a scene toward the beginning where someone was waiting to be picked up at a spaceport or something and he/she had the pet with them.

J

junkheap

After doing some digging, I think it might have been Starman Jones. Does that sound right?

J

jim48

Could be. I haven't read those novels in 35 years. Google 'em!

A

a_lost_packet_

mattblack":12zuyxy9 said:
I think it might be this one:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/jac ... -space.htm

"Trapped In Space" By Jack Williamson.

Interesting. I came across this synopsis:

"Also a so-called "juvenile" SF novel by Jack Williamson, published in 1968. The story tells of a rescue mission to the star Topaz. Astronaut Ben Stone and his crew are lost, and a rescue team featuring his young brother Jeff Stone is assembled. Jeff takes command when the pilot is injured. He must solve the mystery of the missing mission and the alien "rock hoppers" in Topaz's asteroid belt. " http://everything2.com/title/Trapped+in+Space

Does that ring a bell with the OP?

M

mattblack

I've looked at my copy of "Trapped In Space" and sure enough, as per 'junkheap's' description, there is:

*The only details I remember from it is that it involved a family and they had an alien six-legged pet with color-changing mood fur. When their ship was going faster than light they had to navigate using neutrino-sensitive instruments.*

The six-legged character is called "Buzz Dozen-Dozen", he does change colour with his moods and they navigate through hyperspace via a special "neutrino" periscope. And one brother goes looking for another, lost when his expedition mysteriously dropped out of contact.

I think we have our match!!

Y

yevaud

/Win!

And I will spend many hours of mirth, remembering the phrase, "Neutrino Periscope."

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":3781dcy8 said:
/Win!

And I will spend many hours of mirth, remembering the phrase, "Neutrino Periscope."

I'm going to put the word "Quantum" in front of that then write my own woo webpage...

"Quantum Neutrino Periscope"

WOO!

Y

yevaud

"Mister Data: alter the Emitter Array to be a Quantum Neutrino Periscope." Make it so."

"Aw, Captain, that's Sooooo lame."

:geek:

J

junkheap

Yes, that's it! Thank you!

What threw me off was that Starman Jones also had a six-legged pet in it. :roll:

M

Mee_n_Mac

With the OP's question now answered, let me ask if anyone recalls another 6 legged creature from an early SF book. IIRC it was pregnant and escaped when the ship that had capured it crashed. I think the ship crashed on Earth as I recall it got into a fight with a grizzly or polar bear (and won, barely) in some Artic or very cold region. It was surprised that any other creature could even come close to matching it's strength. At least part of the story was told from the creature's viewpoint so it was intelligent if not as technical as a human. I have a notion it was a Lensmen series book but for the life of me can't remember which one ... if it was one.

6 legs rule, 2 legs drool !! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.