Question Earth Moon Origin

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
The impact did not make the Moon. The impact made a cloud of molten material all around the Earth. Most of it flew off into space. Some of it settled into a circular orbit and then made the Moon over many millions of years. I am open to a better explanation but it must account for the iron deficit and must account for the high amount of angular momentum in the resultant system.

My thoughts on the origin of the moon.
I have the opinion that the Earth and the planets and their moons evolved about the same time from our Sun going Supernova releasing the solar envelope in the form of an hourglass.
Collision during the early years is possible and fragments may have added to the moon that was in a stable motion.
Research is needed to discover the unknown.

[Submitted on 2 Jun 2024]

Lunar antineutrinos and heat: Fluxes from primordial radioactivity​

Steve Dye, Andrew Barna
We present estimates for the fluxes of heat and antineutrinos due to primordial radioactivity within the moon. We use a radial density profile, specifying an inner core and a model-averaged crust. The 1∘ by 1∘ gridded crust data draw on global maps from spacecraft missions. Thickness, density, and elevation come from measurements of the gravitational field. Thorium, uranium, and potassium abundances come from measurements of the gamma ray intensity. Assuming no vertical variation of the crustal abundances predicts 302 GW of radiogenic heating. Accepting a heat flux of 5 mWm−2 from the mantle plus low viscosity zone both with Th/U≃3.7 and K/U≃2000 tallies an additional 185 GW of radiogenic heating. The corresponding antineutrino fluxes from the average crust and the mantle plus low viscosity zone are 2.02×106 cm−2s−1 and 6.40×105 cm−2s−1, respectively. Subsurface variations of thorium, uranium, and potassium abundances in the crust are a potentially large and not yet assessed source of uncertainty. The uncertainties reported with the radial density profile contribute ±1.4×103 cm−2s−1 and ±0.6 GW (<1\%) to the estimates of antineutrino flux and radiogenic heating, respectively, from the mantle plus low viscosity zone.

Latest posts