Question Earth Moon Origin

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Sep 18, 2024
Visit site
Supposing angular momentum presents problems if the Earth and Moon formed alongside each other, what are those issues, and how does the impact hypothesis provide a more coherent answer to these?

I am speculating, because at the time I was just a little baby, but I would assume 4.6 billion years ago there was insufficient angular momentum in any one knot of dust in the protoplanetary disc to create an Earth/Moon system. The disc itself has lots of angular momentum but each knot has little of its own.

In the impact scenario, an off center hit gives all that is needed.

Sep 18, 2024
Visit site
I am speculating, because at the time I was just a little baby, but I would assume 4.6 billion years ago there was insufficient angular momentum in any one knot of dust in the protoplanetary disc to create an Earth/Moon system. The disc itself has lots of angular momentum but each knot has little of its own.

I'm trying to get away from the assumptions to seek the science behind.

Sep 18, 2024
Visit site

I am also speculating. Suppose the Earth started to form in its own vortex of cooling constituents and the Moon started to form 100m years or so later, in its own vortex of slightly different cooling constituents, ie not from the same knot of dust as you term it. Would that satisfy the angular momentum problem?

In order for the Moon to have originated somewhere else in the Solar Nebula and then have it go into orbit around the Earth requires the Moon to interact with a third body to redirect it to Earth and then it requires another interaction with a fourth body to settle it into orbit. "Too chancy". The impact hypothesis avoids all those problems.

Sep 18, 2024
Visit site
In order for the Moon to have originated somewhere else in the Solar Nebula and then have it go into orbit around the Earth requires the Moon to interact with a third body to redirect it to Earth and then it requires another interaction with a fourth body to settle it into orbit. "Too chancy". The impact hypothesis avoids all those problems.

That is not my premise.

The Earth got to be the Earth by consuming/absorbing/sweeping up, some of what was within its reach, chemistry/physics/temperatures permitting.

Maybe the Moon was next in line for lunch, but the one that got away, by the skin of its... skin.

Sep 18, 2024
Visit site
The impact hypothesis has a Mar's size planet hitting the proto Earth just enough off center to leave the iron core of the proto Earth intact. This is why the Moon lacks iron. The off center hit also generates the needed angular momentum.
The impact hypothesis has a Mar's size planet hitting the proto Earth just enough off center to leave the iron core of the proto Earth intact. This is why the Moon lacks iron. The off center hit also generates the needed angular momentum.
But where is the science and maths for this, assertion is no good, impact theory is being challenged in terms of isotopic compositions not aligning. What is the maths that the impact theory fulfils such that angular momentum is satisfied?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts