Electromagnetic Propulsion

Page 8 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nacnud

Look up a Bussard Ram jet, here I'll google it for you, link. Shame it doesn't work.<br /><br />I think that one day we will go interstella, but it will be von Newman machines and information making the trip.

V

vidar

I think it would be interesting to investigate the theoretical possibility to reach half the speed of light. I know there are lots of practical and theoretical obstacles. However, it would be interesting to discuss it in a simple way.<br /><br />Taken that:<br />1 kg of matter/antimatter can provide 10^17 joule of energy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter<br />It takes 10^17 joule to get 1 kg mass to reach c, by using simple calculation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy<br /><br />The gamma factor from the Lorentz transformation is not a considerable problem for the vessel’s speed (v) until it passes half the light speed (0,50 c), because the gamma requires only 10 percent extra energy. It is a considerable problem when the vessel reaches 90 percent the light speed (0,90 c), because the gamma doubles the energy required. The relation between the vessel’s speed and the gamma factor (g) is:<br /><br />0.10 c = /> 1.01 g<br />0.20 c = /> 1.02 g<br />0.30 c = /> 1.05 g<br />0.40 c = /> 1.09 g<br />0.50 c = /> 1.15 g<br />0.60 c = /> 1.25 g<br />0.70 c = /> 1.40 g<br />0.80 c = /> 1.67 g<br />0.90 c = /> 2.29 g<br /><br />0.91 c = /> 2.41 g<br />0.92 c = /> 2.55 g<br />0.93 c = /> 2.72 g<br />0.94 c = /> 2.93 g<br />0.95 c = /> 3.20 g<br />0.96 c = /> 3.57 g<br />0.97 c = /> 4.11 g<br />0.98 c = /> 5.03 g<br />0.99 c = /> 7.09 g<br /><br />Therefore, Lorentz-transformation, as in the theory of relativity, should not be considered an obstacle for a goal at half the light-speed. It should be considered irrelevant. <br />… or what?<br />

M

mlorrey

This is all true. But you aren't going to get 1 g accelerations from a photon propulsion system.<br /><br />Another issue to deal with is the dynamic pressure drag of the interstellar gas and dust against your ship. Its insignificant at conventional speeds, but starts to creep upward at only a few percent of c. All that mass hitting you at such high speeds has other effects, generating x-rays and other forms of radiation that can damage circuitry and any biological systems.

V

vidar

The idea is to make a vessel accelerate with 10G for a couple of weeks and thereby reach v = c/2.<br /><br />The gamma-factor (g) listed above is the Einsteinian distortion due to the use of Lorentz-transformation in the special theory of relativity. At c/2 it will not be of any considerable problem.<br /><br />There are no doubt obstacles ahead in space. The idea here is to discuss the theoretical possibility to provide enough energy to reach the speed of c/2.<br />

D

detriech69

I've often thought of reaction based weights roating in a circular pattern and pushing downward to get the reverse reaction of upward motion. Thinl flying saucer. But the more I thought about it, I realized that what goes up has to come back down and the reverse motion needed to get to the next cycle would negate the desired upward motion. I think the same thing would happen with your hammer design. But electromagnetic means for propulsion might still be used, but you have to think more hi tech and esoteric.<br />But since this is a peer reviewed non-speculative part of the forum, I'll withhold any further musings. Besides, I'm hooking up with some people with imagination and true vision that will beat NASA or any other govt. sponsored agency to the outer planets and beyond. But like I said, this is no place for imagination. Good luck.

M

mlorrey

You want to subject people to 10 g for a couple weeks? Are you crazy? With what system?

V

vidar

I don’t think space ships should be manned, unless at very short and safe voyages.<br /><br />What do you mean by "with what system"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts