Enders Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

superschnauzer

I know i'm allways asking if things are possible but I would really like to know if some of the more believeable things like enders game by Card, Orson scott or one of his other books like the homecoming series could be possible or at least somewhat believable in the next 100 years. <br /><br />P.S. I'm mostly referring to the technology.

O

odysseus145

I think that the technology portrayed in the book could be possible, but the part about children deciding the fate of humanity is a bit far fetched. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

fear

I'm not familiar with Ender's Game what sort of things are proposed in it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

wmdragon

at the very least I hope the zero-G "laser tag" games become reality. could be a big boost to space tourism. and breakthrus in quantum computing could enable instantaneous communications across space.<br /><br />wouldnt want to run into any bugs though! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>I think that the technology portrayed in the book could be possible, but the part about children deciding the fate of humanity is a bit far fetched.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Well, Ender and his siblings are supposed to be special children. Most kids definitely wouldn't be in that position. And there's a reason why they didn't choose adults -- they wanted somebody sufficiently immature that they'd be ruthless. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

E

el_dioblo_krems

This is really just a question for those who have read 'Enders Game', which is a great book by the way.<br />I am hoping that someone will chose to enlighten me as to why the 'buggers' claim that they failed to realise that humans were inteligent life forms and claim that is why they killed them. Even though that mistake might be acceptable once, durring the first invasion, they then lead another invasion after that in an attempt to colonise the human worlds. Even donkeys dont trip over the same stone twice.

P

PistolPete

In answer to the first question, the reason that the Buggers did not realize that we were intelligent was because the Buggers are a collective consciousness, kind of like the Borg. They could not conceive of individual beings as intelligent. Also, the ****** queens communicated telepathically. Because they couldn't hear us, they assumed that we could not be intelligent.<br /><br />As to the second question, I can't seem to remember the answer off of the top of my head. However, if I were the buggers, after realizing what I had done, I would have no choice but to take the humans out preemptively because if I didn't then they would eventually come after me.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

S

Saiph

the second war wasn't planned IIRC. That colony was sent out without knowing people were there. The first war was a scouting group.<br /><br />The third war was the only war where one race set out to attack the other, realizing that defending a volume as vast as space is impractical. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

specfiction

I was not a fan of Enders. Once started the book cause I liked the cover, but gave up after 50 pages. Later, since the book got such hype, I picked it up again and finished it this time. I must say, I still don't know why the book did so well among older (>25) readers.

S

Saiph

One reason I enjoyed it is: The intelligent tactics and the more accurate portrayal of gifted children. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

PistolPete

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>the second war wasn't planned IIRC. That colony was sent out without knowing people were there. The first war was a scouting group. <br /><br />The third war was the only war where one race set out to attack the other, realizing that defending a volume as vast as space is impractical. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />That sounds about right, thanks for correcting me. It's been a few years since I read it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

R

rogers_buck

The writing style and the underlying theme tend to drag on when you read Children of the Mind. I read four, that's enough for me. I don't dislike the series, but I don't think it is great either.<br /><br />

S

Saiph

If you liked Enders Game and want more to read in that style, and genre, don't read the subsequent sequals. They're fine books on their own, but they are very different from EG. The books that follow up on earth's plight after EG, that follow peter wiggin and bean's exploits, are rather good. They're Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

G

gawin

My personal favorite book in the series is Enders Shadow. It give a lot of insight into what was happening around ender from a much different perspective.

B

brellis

Ender's Game was recommended to me when I started feeling desperate after Asimov died. It worked nicely, but Asimov's dry style will always be my favorite. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts