Enigma of Antikythera Mechanism cracked

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vandivx

"Slavery is an institution that us always brutal, degrading, and exploitive."<br />-----<br /><br />you know what? this is as dogmatic statement as one can make, stop and think about what you wrote there, you have said there that Greeks were "brutal, degrading, and exploitive" people, else why would you make that statement, like timeless God being above everything sitting on a cloud and judging everybody by an absolute standard<br /><br />you can't make an absolutist and sweeping statement like that without taking into account the historical context - the historical knowledge that is possible to people in a given era, if YOU lived in classical Greece YOU would do no different than the Greeks did<br /><br />to put it different way, you can't judge savages for being savage if savagery is the best the culture they are part of achieved, else you might condemn animals for behaving like animals (since who knows one day they might develop some degree of rationality and come to see how wrong they did in their distant past)<br /><br />IF as you write "Aristotle believed that slavery was a natural estate and slave were little different to animals" (yes he believed that along with the rest of Greeks), doesn't that ring a bell?? I suppose you know what else Aristotle has written on other subjects, do you think a man who was brutal, degrading and exploitative to 'men he thought little different than animals' could have written what he wrote in his opus? in his Ethics for example? to me it doesn't look like work of some evil and mean and cruel man even if he should have behaved like that towards real animals only<br /><br />man you are so wrong it is beyond belief, I take it you are driven by angst from that other disagreement we had on religion and you will oppose me no matter how the facts may stand or else it is your dogmatic Christian background that makes you so absolutistically judgemental and morally superior to everybody else (how typical for religionists), I didn't know how right <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

silylene

<p>Great (long) article with a lot more detail about the Antikythera Mechanism.</p><p>Be sure to <strong><font size="4">CLICK ON THE VIDEO</font></strong>.</p><p>http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026861.600-archimedes-and-the-2000yearold-computer--.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font size="1">petet = <font color="#800000"><strong>silylene</strong></font></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1">Please, please give me my handle back !</font></p> </div>

J

jim48

<strong>Okay. So what time is it?</strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.