ESA starts a new project: ASTEROID HOPPER

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gjsr

This project is a multi-asteroid rendezvous mission. A minimum of 2 scientifically interesting asteroids will be investigated.At least 2 landers will be deposited on each asteroid.Mission timeline from launch will be 12 years.

K

kane007

If you would supply some links that would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

J

j05h

gosh, maybe they can get DAWN's corpse for starters. 8(<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

B

bad_drawing

Agreed...and maybe its itinerary too. I'm still itching to see Ceres up close. <br /><br />I know I know, it won't happen, but I'm still bummed about Dawn. Sigh.

J

j05h

>Agreed...and maybe its itinerary too. I'm still itching to see Ceres up close.<br /> />I know I know, it won't happen, but I'm still bummed about Dawn. Sigh.<br /><br />If the Dawn craft is as close to complete as described, I can see it being flown under a university banner at some point. Or maybe the Air Force will fly it like Clementine and DS1 - they have the funds. It is shortsighted in the extreme to not push ahead with Dawn. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

B

bad_drawing

I appreciate your optimism. I certainly hope you're right and somebody picks it up. Somebody save DAWN! <br /><br />A few minutes ago I read this:<br />"The fury from the floor of the meeting was not kept within U.S. borders. Scientists from Europe also cautioned that the NASA budget is damaging international cooperation. Several projects, including the now-scuttled Dawn mission to asteroids, involve non-U.S. partners."<br /><br />In this article on SDC:<br />http://www.space.com/news/060314_scientists_lpsc.html<br /><br />Makes me scratch my head and wonder. Maybe they (ESA) will pick it up completely? Are there any restrictions or hard-to-overcome regulations in giving/selling our ESA friends our "part" of a probe like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts