ESA's experimental reentry vehicle IXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

<p>ESA article</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>"In 2012, Vega will carry ESA&rsquo;s Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle into space. The vehicle will then return to Earth to test a range of enabling systems and technologies for atmospheric re-entry. A new video with computer generated animations of the vehicle and its mission is now available."</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Have you seen this?&nbsp; I wonder what type of vehicle ESA will use the data gleaned from this mission. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p>Thanks for the link. Excellent video and nice design.</p><p>ESA has been known to want an independent mechanism to return cargo and science test results from the ISS and Columbus laboratory.</p><p>Looks like they are working for a solution.&nbsp;</p>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the link. Excellent video and nice design.ESA has been known to want an independent mechanism to return cargo and science test results from the ISS and Columbus laboratory.Looks like they are working for a solution.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>It looks like this experiment may lead to a vehicle that leapfrogs the ATV manned vehicle, ie the next generation after ATV.&nbsp; I only say that because of the late year this experiment is supposed to launch. I would hope the manned ATV would be farther complete by then. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font size="2">It looks like a damned brilliant design to me. It&nbsp;doesn't exactly&nbsp;follow the&nbsp;KISS principle though. I just hope they don't try to design too many capabilities into it. That, IMO, is one of the very few things that could&nbsp;kill it.&nbsp;</font>&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It looks like a damned brilliant design to me. It&nbsp;doesn't exactly&nbsp;follow the&nbsp;KISS principle though. I just hope they don't try to design too many capabilities into it. That, IMO, is one of the very few things that could&nbsp;kill it.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /> Posted by boris1961</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Well, maybe that's why its a demo flight so far.&nbsp; I guess they could use the data for a number of things, form capsule, to space plane, to suborbital global transport. But I'm just guessing.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Well, maybe that's why its a demo flight so far.&nbsp; I guess they could use the data for a number of things, form capsule, to space plane, to suborbital global transport. But I'm just guessing. <br />Posted by holmec</DIV></p><p>It's also probably a very good shape for&nbsp;a large&nbsp;Mars entry vehicle.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

E

EarthlingX

http://www.space-travel.com : New Milestone In IXV Development
by Staff Writers
Saint Cloud, France (ESA) Sep 20, 2010

esa-intermediate-experimental-vehicle-ixv-lg.jpg

The Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle (IXV), under ESA's Future Launchers Preparatory Programme (FLPP), is the step forward from the successful Atmospheric Reentry Demonstrator flight in 1998, establishing Europe's role in this field.

ESA has held the first IXV Industrial Workshop. Thales Alenia Space and its main industrial partners presented the detailed design of ESA's Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle. The workshop was hosted by Dassault Aviation in Saint Cloud, France.

This was the first opportunity for industry to present the hardware development activities that have been undertaken to support the proposed design solutions. During the event, technical and programmatic achievements in the IXV project were shared, and short- and long-term perspectives and future applications were discussed.

"It is a pleasure to see the industry and the research organisations involved in the IXV development so motivated to work on a reentry flight module. This industrial momentum is necessary to accomplish such a mission successfully and timely, while preparing for future challenges together," said Antonio Fabrizi, ESA Director of Launchers.
The project is now well under way. The Critical Design Review will start at the end of 2010 and last three months. This will allow for the start of manufacturing in 2011, the verification and qualification process in 2012 and the final assembly and integration in 2013.

http://www.esa.int : ESA - Reentry technologies

Longer and older post with more links in this thread : SB&T From Around The World Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts