ESAS *UPDATE* SPACECRAFT FEATURES DISCUSS. PART #1

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lampblack

Just to clarify for folks who maybe weren't paying close attention when the Challenger accident happened (not directed at you, Kane):<br /><br />Challenger was launched on a freezing January morning. The seals on the SRBs were cold -- and because they were cold, they were stiff and consequently not capable of doing their job properly. That -- along with a flawed design for the SRB's o-ring seals -- led to the seal leak that impinged on the external tank and caused the catastrophe.<br /><br />After Challenger, the SRB o-ring seals were redesigned, essentially adding an extra layer of protection. Also, new rules were established to forbid launches in freezing weather.<br /><br />With redesigned O-rings and revised flight rules, the SRBs have exhibited a perfect record since Challenger.<br /><br />They are safe -- at least, as safe as anything can be within the context of human spaceflight. They're certainly safe for use in the "Stick" mode to launch the CEV. And thanks to all of the post-Challenger fixes, they are safe, too, for launching the shuttle-derived heavy lifter -- even though the SRBs will be riding next to a modified external tank.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

M

mattblack

Yeah, I mis-typed BarryKirk, sorry. I've now changed that to say E.T. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

D

darkenfast

Ha! For once in my life I might be right about something! My Scientific Wild-Ass Guess (SWAG) about the descent stage of the Lander being used for LOI is what was presented to the National Academy of Sciences. See the other thread. Fun reading!

M

mattblack

You're right, good scoop!!: I'm updating my figures at the begining of this post to reflect the new information. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts