excessive dew problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jadibartolomeo

<p>i live in south florida, and the humidity is out of control where i live.&nbsp; i have a dew shield, but after about 30 minutes, the inside of the shield is soaked and the corrector plate becomes covered in condesation.&nbsp; i have 3 questions...</p><p>1) are heated dew shields worth it?</p><p>2) can anyone recommend a cloth or something to wipe the moisture off of the optics?</p><p>3) what do some of you do to deal with this?</p><p>&nbsp;i'm very afraid to use anything on the corrector plate to wipe the moisture because i don't want to scratch it.&nbsp; i have one of those two sided cleaning pens, with a brushes on each end, but they don't deal with moisture well. </p><p>Thanks! </p>

A

adrenalynn

<p>1. Here where it's colder we have two choices, heated dew shields or staying inside where it's warm and posting on the forum. ;)</p><p>Yes.&nbsp; By all means worth it.</p><p>1.1A: You are giving the instrument time to adjust to the outside temp prior to observing, right?</p><p>2. Eeeek!&nbsp; [shiver].&nbsp; Not hear my scopes!&nbsp; Canned air works a treat, just hold it far enough away that you don't further chill anything.</p><p>3.&nbsp; See 1. and 2.&nbsp; :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>i live in south florida, and the humidity is out of control where i live.&nbsp; i have a dew shield, but after about 30 minutes, the inside of the shield is soaked and the corrector plate becomes covered in condesation.&nbsp; i have 3 questions...1) are heated dew shields worth it?2) can anyone recommend a cloth or something to wipe the moisture off of the optics?3) what do some of you do to deal with this?&nbsp;i'm very afraid to use anything on the corrector plate to wipe the moisture because i don't want to scratch it.&nbsp; i have one of those two sided cleaning pens, with a brushes on each end, but they don't deal with moisture well. Thanks! <br /> Posted by jadibartolomeo</DIV></p><p>You are wise to be afraid to wipe off your corrector plate.....you could badly damage it that way if dust particles were to settle on it along with the dew. &nbsp;There is a low-power hair-dryer type accessory you can buy that runs off 12 volts (you can plug it into your car cigarette lighter socket) that you can use to gently evaporate the dew. &nbsp;DO NOT use a regular hair dryer to try to accomplish the same thing....it uses way too much heat and could further damage your optics. &nbsp;A heated dew shield is your only practical permanent solution.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts