Fate Of The Universe Still Unknown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plat

Is there anyone else (but me) that doesnt think the universe will never stop expanding, is the forever expansion basically standard or are there still people that are opposed to it.

N

newtonian

Plat - First of all, the more popular current model has changed drastically in recent years.<br /><br />Second, there seems to be ignorance of the fact that a very large local area of universe is not expanding at all.<br /><br />In fact, our galaxy is part of hundreds of galaxies on a sort of river in space heading for a great attractor.<br /><br />And that is not theory, it is actual observational data.<br />Now, you may or may not consider the Bible authoritative. I do, and it clearly indicates God is stretching out our heavens at Isaiah 40:22 (where it also states the earth is round).<br /><br />That would favor eternal expansion - but the question would remain: into what, exactly.<br /><br />BTW- the illustration in said verse is of a stretching fine gauze, and is exactly what is observed to be the way our universe is expanding, including the threads and filaments that astronomers refer to in illustrating the composition and expansion of our universe.<br /><br />In a literal stretching fine gauze, some bonds will break, while others would hold fast - which is also indicated in the Bible at Job 38:31.<br /><br />And so it is locally - to the contrary of what some astronomers have stated - locally some bonds will hold fast.<br />I am not sure how many galaxies will stay close, but I think it is in the neighborhood of 1,000 galaxies with about a total of about 100 trillion stars.<br />Far from the empty night sky some astronomers have theorized for trillions of years from now.<br /><br />And there will be many galactic collisions or mergers with many new stars forming.<br /><br />The more immediate concern for us is the upcoming merger of Andromeda and Milky Way. Other mergers lie trillions of years in the future.<br />By then, who knows if our universe may be expanding into another universe?<br />

P

plat

so what are you getting at....an eternal universe<br /><br />so basically this "forever expansion into nothingness" is jsut a guesstimate

I

iron_sun_254

Well, trillions of years from now there will be an empty sky, but not because of expansion. Eventually all the nuclear fuel of the universe will be spent and there will be nothing left to shine. The universe will eventually be filled with nothing but black holes slowly merging with eachother and eventually evaporating into particles and anti-particles which will collide and convert into energy.

P

plat

<b>"The fabric of the Universe may be ripped apart in just 30 billion years from now"</b><br /><br />"so it will be similar to the pre-big bang state?"<br /><br />nothing but gasses?

Q

qzzq

No, no gases. The Universe is expanding. The Big Rip theory tells us what would happen if this expansion would accelerate ad infinitum. Everything would be ripped apart. Galaxies, star systems, planets and atoms. Space-time itself. Time would stop. Everything would be kaputt. But what happens after that is just a guess.<br /><br />But certainly no gases. There were no gases prior to the Big Bang. There was no Universe for those gases to exist in. No space and no time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>***</p> </div>

A

alkalin

Yes, you guessed it, nothing but hot air. (sorry, I could not resist)

P

plat

After the Big Rip has done its damage could a new universe be recycled out of whats left? could another big bang happen?

T

thalion

^<br />In so far as the Big Rip is still a fringe theory, that's impossible to say. I think the standard answer is that over extremely long intervals it's almost impossible to predict what might happen, particularly when quantum fluctuations are factored in.<br /><br />I highly recommend picking up a copy of Adams and Laughlin's <i>The Five Ages of the Universe</i>, though it goes on the premise of simple eternal expansion.

P

plat

Are you sure about this? because some cosmologists say that everything will be ripped apart, thus the name "Big Rip" and the universe will will keep on expanding and dissipate into nothingness and a zero-energy field allowing for quantum fluctuations to happen...and possibly allowing another big bang to come into play?

P

plat

You say the end wil be similar to the beggining, could the end spark off a new beggining?

N

newtonian

Plat - Some of the answers you have gotten are based on theories not yet proven, as Steve accurately noted. Also, Steve is correct that hydrogen, the fuel for new star formation, will still predominate for trillions, perhaps quadrillions, of years in our universe. <br /><br />Some of this depends on whether dark energy is constant, as in the cosmological constant, or varies over time.<br /><br />In effect, it depends on the springiness of dark energy. <br /><br />Also one must factor in the Pioneer effect, whereby the Pioneer space probes are slowing down for an unknown reason. <br /><br />One theory to account for the latter is that not only mass, but also pressure, exerts gravity - and that negative pressure exerts negative gravity.<br /><br />Locally this would serve to stop any "Big Rip" effect due to positive pressure- if I understand this model correctly.<br /><br />See "Science News," 5/22/04, pp.330-332 for this and other models astronomers are now researching - however, the article does not mention the Pioneer effect - I made that connection on my own.<br /><br />The local portion of universe is not expanding but is more or less gravitationally bound- and this is actually observed. One way is the simple blue shifting of the light spectrum of many local galaxies`<br /><br />Combine this with Steve's accurate noting that hydrogen gas still predominates and you can see why it could be untold vast future time for new star formation in our local portion of universe involving hundreds of millions of light years in diameter.<br /><br />Remember also that astronomers have observed an increase in new star formation during galactic mergers - and that local galaxies will be involved in many future mergers and interactions on the journey towards the Great Attractor and beyond.<br /><br />Finally, you should not ignore the cause of the origin of our universe.<br /><br />Simply stated, Genesis 1:1 states that God created the heavens [perhaps universes in plural] and earth.<br /><br />How

P

plat

wow talk about big headed <br /><br />Is that a true statement though, that in the early universe there was almost all hydrogen and heat death there will almost be all hydrogen?<br /><br />got any links?

P

plat

in heat death (most likely scenario) the universe will have zero-energy and it would allow for quantum fluctuation...allowing for a new universe(s) to be created

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts