Fecund universes and physical constants

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

calicoco

How much water does Lee Smolin's theory of fecund universes hold? <br /><br />Also, according to his theory, the basic parameters of nature vary between universes. My question is - how much? Is it a noticeable difference that would make life as WE know it impossible?

Q

qso1

I don't put much faith into any of the cosmological theories because in all likelihood, they will never be proven and are basically just theories based on mathematics. These alternate Universes are certainly not observable. Its also claimed that the parameters of an alternate Universe would make life impossible in that Universe if these parameters are off by just a bit.<br /><br />How can that actually be measured, tested?<br /><br />Two decades from now, I guarantee there will be a few new theories floating around that will be nearly impossible to prove. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

I'd not totally rule out some of his ideas, such as 'evolution of universes', 'natural selections in universes'. Both theses ideas, seem to me, may have come from observations of natural things on this planet and in space.<br /><br />I haven't read any of his books, but like to read 'Trouble with physics'. This is what I have heard so far is an anti-string theory book. I'll throw any theory into trash cans if it says from the current knowledge of the cosmos, "This is exactly what happened". <br /><br />Another thing that beats me is when people talk about intelligence, they always attach it to a 'life form' as we know it. Intelligence in other universes, if there is one, may not be in the same shape and form as we call 'life'.<br /><br />BTW, Lee's quantum loop gravity, IMHO, is another theoretical rant like string theory. Only time will tell... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.