Fermilab's Holometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Holometer2-300x203.jpg

The question: is the universe a hologram? If so then the third dimension is at risk and we live in a 2D fractal construct.

Symmetry article....

Hogan’s holometer: Testing the hypothesis of a holographic universe

In 2008, Fermilab particle astrophysicist Craig Hogan made waves with a mind-boggling proposition: The 3D universe in which we appear to live is no more than a hologram.

Now he is building the most precise clock of all time to directly measure whether our reality is an illusion.

The idea that spacetime may not be entirely smooth – like a digital image that becomes increasingly pixelated as you zoom in – had been previously proposed by Stephen Hawking and others. Possible evidence for this model appeared last year in the unaccountable “noise” plaguing the GEO600 experiment in Germany, which searches for gravitational waves from black holes. To Hogan, the jitteriness suggested that the experiment had stumbled upon the lower limit of the spacetime pixels’ resolution.

Black hole physics, in which space and time become compressed, provides a basis for math showing that the third dimension may not exist at all. In this two-dimensional cartoon of a universe, what we perceive as a third dimension would actually be a projection of time intertwined with depth. If this is true, the illusion can only be maintained until equipment becomes sensitive enough to find its limits.

“You can’t perceive it because nothing ever travels faster than light,” says Hogan. “This holographic view is how the universe would look if you sat on a photon.”
>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

Glad to see someone is at least trying to see the world from a different perspective.
This is also one of my many scenarios of reality.
What we see around us may just be watching a TV screen, only difference is we are watching it in 3D.
We still can write equations of motion of, formulae for properties , define forces, etc of the objects we see on this '3D TV'.
This is our macroscopic world.
But what we see on our TV screens in our living room is not the true reality, the true reality is electrons,currents, etc. flowing in microchips. Similarly what we see around us (our 3D TV reality) is not real but projecttions on our visual system. Actual reality may be hidden from us. That is our microscopic world.
This is also one reason I sometime think gravity and quantum mechnics can not be combined. I other words, there can not be one theory of everything.

Note, to me this is a possibility, I would not be surprised if it is wrong.

C

csmyth3025

docm":3dqwnxdz said:
Hogan’s holometer: Testing the hypothesis of a holographic universe

“You can’t perceive it because nothing ever travels faster than light,” says Hogan. “This holographic view is how the universe would look if you sat on a photon.”
>
I may be looking at this claim in a simple-minded way, but it's my understanding that for anything moving at the speed of light (a photon, for instance), the dimension along the path of travel (length) shrinks to zero. If this is, in fact, the case then we're left with only height and width. From the standpoint of the photon it seems reasonable that the world would appear to be two-dimensional.
In fact, according to John Walker's "C-ship - The Aberration of Light" (here:http://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/aberration.html), the world would appear to be one-dimensional. Am I missing something?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts