finding a linear diameter

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buc4933

multiplying pi ¶ (which is equal to 3.14) by the diameter of the circle

B

bobw

Yes<br /><br />c = pi X d<br /><br />so you know the circumference ( 3600 light years) and you know pi (3.14159)... how do you figgure out d ? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

That is only if you are on the other side of the circle from your nova. You are really in the middle. The diameter is the distance across the whole circle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

How did you get 11304 ? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

if c = pi X d then d does not = c X pi<br /><br />to get d on one side of the equal sign you have to divide both sides by pi<br /><br />c/pi = (pi X d)/pi<br /><br />on the right side pi/pi = 1<br /><br />c/pi = d X 1 ( that's algebra )<br /><br />d = c / pi <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

that's c<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

1146.496815<br /><br />What is that? radius, diameter, miles? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

So if your star shell is 1 light year angular diameter and you draw lines out to it to make a pie slice shape, where are you? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

buc4933

I'm guessing i need miles though seeing how it asks for how far away it is

B

bobw

if your angular diameter is part of a circle, where is the point of the pie slice in relation to the circle? You should be making drawings on paper to keep your location straight <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

buc4933

maybe i'll just move onto the next question, because i feel that i'm not really getting anywhere on this one

B

bobw

UNKNOWN light years would be the length of the vertical line in the center of the triangle below.<br /><br />0.1 degrees is the angle at the top.<br /><br />The diameter of your star shell would be the length of the line on the bottom.<br /><br />The line on the bottom is part of a big circle.<br /><br />Where is the point of the triangle in relation to the big circle?<br /><br /><br /><pre><br /> /|<br /> / | <br /> / | <br />/ | <br />--------- <br /></pre> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

exactly!<br /><br />so the diameter isn't the answer, is it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts