Flatlander 3D: Hypersphere to Flat Space

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Ok I get you there! Very relevant - thanks for that.
I think we can address this issue you raise. At the moment I can only make an assertion without references but I will check and return. My assertion would be that time is always positive and although it can reverse direction it is never negative.
Look one light second away, more and/or less, from anywhere at all and see time reversed!

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Gibsense, my "like" excludes:
My assertion would be that time is always positive and although it can reverse direction it is never negative.

Time is one of many items which can be measued.
The result is a number of units (e.g., hours) which do not carry a + or - sign.
These units can be applied before or after a defined point.

Cat :)

Catastrophe

;) There is SPACETIME (+|-), then there is REALTIME (0).

((+1) (-1)) = 1/0.
((+n) (-n)) = n/0.

Atlan, sorry, I do not understand this.

Does it mean that you disagree with:
Time is one of many items which can be measured.
The result is a number of units (e.g., hours) which do not carry a + or - sign.
These units can be applied before or after a defined point.

Catastrophe

I suddenly realised I had often mistakenly described 'the surface of a hypersphere' as 3d'. My bad. The Hypersphere IS a surface!! Sorry about that. Hope that clears it up.

But of course that surface has 3 Dimensions (drawn and imagined as 2d but in the case of a hypersphere the surface is 3d)

Gibsense,

Hypersphere and sphere are NOT the same.

A hypersphere is the four-dimensional analogue of a sphere. Although a sphere exists in 3D-space, its surface is two-dimensional. Similarly, a hypersphere has a three-dimensional surface which curves into 4-space. Our universe could be the hypersurface of a hypersphere.

Gibsense,

A hypersphere is the four-dimensional analogue of a sphere. Although a sphere exists in 3D-space, its surface is two-dimensional. Similarly, a hypersphere has a three-dimensional surface which curves into 4-space. Our universe could be the hypersurface of a hypersphere.
Cat, you are seeing that the magnetic spokes of a magnetic field, such as the Earth's, curving to the center point electroweak monopole moment, curving lines into the center point of a flat wheel or disk (galaxy, black hole.... what have you) , , is 3-d 2-dimensional in the latter case . . . and 4-d 3-dimensional in the former case.

So, I sense that you, Gibsense, have grave difficulty turning Special Relativity....

....inside-out (outside-in)!

That you cannot turn the light cones' illustrations above on their heads while keeping the (universe traveler) observer (now a man-figure, or stick figure} larger than the universe (u) centered in the open endedness of the flipped cones with two opposite poled arrow lines, running each side of it out to the pointy-ended cone points of the Planck (BB) Horizon outside.

'S' = Planck (BB) Horizon point in its two outer places.
'3r', just short of the figure larger than the universe . . . on both sides of it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Visit site
Gibsense,

I said "a sphere" n- spheres are surfaces. All are surfaces of 'n-balls' so to speak. Of course, a hypersphere is an analogue of a sphere - it is defined as such. A hypersphere Is a type of sphere. These points are not an issue for me Please see my post on Hyperspheres suggesting that is our ( white hole) universe. Also, the diagram regarding 3D Flatlanders.

So in summary: I have never pretended a 2-sphere and a 3-sphere are the same thing but they are both
types of sphere. I hope that clears up misunderstandings

Another issue we seem to be having a problem with is what we mean by "Observable Universe". I think it is important to agree on something. It doesn't matter too much which provided the right one is used in context. I prefer that which exists within an event horizon. That is where the boundary is extending at the speed of light.
Although perhaps valid in various contexts I do not think that one that depends on the type and power of a variety of telescopes will serve our purpose; I prefer Hawking's ideas. Do we agree on this?

PS A hypersphere is a surface (by definition)

Jan 2, 2024
Visit site
https://i.postimg.cc/JhK5sDxS/3-D-perception-of-4-D.jpg[/img][/url]

3-D-perception-of-4-D.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
I posted this image again because the thread has become very complex. Anyway it should dispel any idea that I don't know - at least the basics - of what a hypersphere is.

• The red circle depicts the hypersphere i.e the surface of a 4D Ball
  • Events are marked at various equally spaced positions on the hypersphere
  • The red straight tangent Line represents Our 3D flat Euclidian space
  • The 4D events are marked off on the 3D Flatlanders space (the straight tangental line)
  • Note that the events on the tangent red line are no longer equally spaced.
  • T=0 in the diagram exists on the red circle not at the origin of the circle (hypersphere)
  • It is T=0 because time runs 90 degrees to space. To an observer at 'A' time for any object moving from event to event from A to t=0 has rotated (got time dilation)
  • Therefore to the 3D flatlander T=0 appears to be the beginning of time whereas, to a 4D person, T=0 is just dilation (same as passing the event horizon to someone far away)

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlan0001
Gibsense,
The above #85 is good hard thought! I see one wrong piece in it, though. It's (t=0), NOT (T=0).

(T=1)! If you were following up on my request of you with your own preferred idea, please don't get it confused it with either entangling concurrent REALTIME NOW instant (t=0) or light's coordinate points' past-future histories' SPACETIME ((t=+1) (t=-1)).

Reactions: Gibsense

Catastrophe

Gibsense,

This is your thread and, in your introduction, you state:

There are previous posts regarding the Flatlander illustration: How a 2D flat person would perceive a 3d object passing through a 2D flatlander plain. This post applies the same principle to the interpretation of 3D Flatlanders viewing a 4D universe. The Hypersphere and its 3D space (the surface) are described in a previous post.

This has almost nothing to do with my interest in using a sphere (what almost everybody would understand as a sphere) in an analogy to explore the term 'universe' and some of its ramifications. Therefore, I apologise for wasting your time in posting here.

However, I would just like to ask you what prompted a thread, which seems rather esoteric, particularly when involving the flatlander concept. Whilst you have every right to post this matter here, it does unfortunately muddy the water in causing confusion in the question of my using the sphere (I think we all know what I intended here) in the universe analogy.

Catastrophe

BTW, in your "more friendly" discussion in post #2, you state:

It is worth noting (if you have bothered to draw it yourself) that at what appears to be t=0 (an origin of the BB) is in fact the event horizon of our observable universe

I thought that it is generally accepted that BBT is distinguished from t = 0 by an increasingly smaller time interval, possibly involving trillionths of a second. This distinction is the more important as t = 0 no longer only represents a singularity but can alternatively represent a nexus in a cyclic system.

Furthermore, the Universe did not become observable at t = 0. Vide:

Until roughly 380,000 years after the Big Bang, the entire universe was a thick opaque cloud of plasma of electrons and nuclei. As the universe expanded, it cooled off enough to let the plasma become atoms, and the cosmos became transparent. We observe the light from this time as the cosmic microwave background (CMB). (My emphasis).

Please understand that these suggestions are intended as friendly assistance.

Catastrophe

Re: observable universe, I think we agree on this:

Is The Big Bang just the observable universe?

Observable universe - Wikipedia

Overview. The universe's size is unknown, and it may be infinite in extent. Some parts of the universe are too far away for the light emitted since the Big Bang to have had enough time to reach Earth or space-based instruments, and therefore lie outside the observable universe.

Of course, the observable universe is specific to the observer. If a manned "voyager" left the solar system with a human passenger, he would "carry his observable universe with him".

Reactions: Atlan0001
Re: observable universe, I think we agree on this:

Of course, the observable universe is specific to the observer. If a manned "voyager" left the solar system with a human passenger, he would "carry his observable universe with him".

If there was a scale of 1-10 for likes of a post, I'd give you a 10 for this one, Cat! "Carry his observable universe with him". However many words and posts I've used over years, you said it more clearly and simply than I ever have in just six words, Cat!

Reactions: Catastrophe
And the beat goes on!

Jun 22, 2024
Visit site
The universe is a sphere of quaternion geometry associated with the algebra of physical space (APS)

This geometry was invented by Hamilton in 1843 and perfected by Clifford. Hamilton said that the scalar dimension was time. Minkowski's space-time is only a mathematical fiction but the space-time of quaternions is a reality, time is the scalar dimension of space, that is to say the one which controls its density. Length contraction in relativity is one example of changing density of space-time, general relativity is another.
Watch these videos:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KXpkUYvbGo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDUItMVE4U&t=12s

Latest posts