Ford, Nissan & Tesla get US loans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

link.....

AP source: Ford, Nissan, Tesla to get govt loans

By KEN THOMAS – 10 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Energy Department is lending money to the Ford Motor Co. and two other automakers from a $25 billion fund to develop fuel-efficient vehicles, congressional officials say.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu was scheduled to announce the loan funding for Ford, Nissan Motor Co. and Tesla Motors Inc. on Tuesday in Dearborn, Mich., the officials said. They requested anonymity because an official announcement was pending.

Dozens of auto companies, suppliers and battery makers have sought a total of $38 billion from the loan program. Ford has asked to receive $5 billion in loans by 2011, but it was unclear how much money the automaker would receive. Nissan has applied for an undisclosed amount of assistance, while Tesla has sought $450 million.

The Energy Department declined to comment on the plans. Chu has not yet announced the first recipients of the loans, which have been closely watched by members of Congress from states with auto plants and suppliers.

Congress approved the loan program last year to help car companies and suppliers retool their facilities to develop green vehicles and components such as advanced batteries.
>
>

N

neuvik

Well fuel prices are rising again, and I'm not content to wait for the next presidential election for them to magically lower.

Here's hoping they actually put that money to good use and develop some affordable new age vehicles. And kudos for giving Tesla money. Not that I'd ever be able to afford one of the vehicles but its just good to see theres no favoritism for the loans.

However I still think rebuilding the nations railway infrastructure would be of better use.

D

drwayne

I think I heard something about this a while back in conjunction with Ford building a 100 mile range
electric Focus.

Wayne

C

crazyeddie

neuvik":nwopoh9u said:
Here's hoping they actually put that money to good use and develop some affordable new age vehicles. And kudos for giving Tesla money. Not that I'd ever be able to afford one of the vehicles but its just good to see theres no favoritism for the loans.

After the Tesla Roadster goes into mass production, he's going to start working on a more affordable sedan. I think he's on the right track as far as electric vehicles are concerned, with their mechanical simplicity, extended range, and fast recharging times. I'm glad to see the government investing in his company.

neuvik":nwopoh9u said:
However I still think rebuilding the nations railway infrastructure would be of better use.

I don't think the railway infrastructure needs rebuilding; it's quite adequate for freight travel. But we need a whole new infrastructure for high speed rail, such as the network being planned in California. Wherever possible, California's bullet trains will not share track space with freight lines, but will have their own dedicated rails that can accommodate the fast trains and bypass existing roads, crossings, and other obstacles that force regular passenger trains to slow down.

N

neuvik

crazyeddie":2veldg2o said:
After the Tesla Roadster goes into mass production, he's going to start working on a more affordable sedan. I think he's on the right track as far as electric vehicles are concerned, with their mechanical simplicity, extended range, and fast recharging times. I'm glad to see the government investing in his company.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. More power to them!

I don't think the railway infrastructure needs rebuilding; it's quite adequate for freight travel. But we need a whole new infrastructure for high speed rail, such as the network being planned in California. Wherever possible, California's bullet trains will not share track space with freight lines, but will have their own dedicated rails that can accommodate the fast trains and bypass existing roads, crossings, and other obstacles that force regular passenger trains to slow down.

Well, my big dream for California would be to refurbish the port in Eureka and use all the left over timber yards as a container port. San Fransisco and San Diego are slow, and over burdened. Another deep water port would really help us out. However the railway to Eureka has been deactivated for years, and people keep shooting down refurbishment of the line and the port. Shame too, there a few quarries who were counting on the rail line, they could have brought in some nice capital.

As for the nation, tractor trailer shipping cost a fortune compared to rail. The shipping costs alone are hurting a lot of businesses. Even if hybrid vehicles lower the cost of peoples day to day expenditures, it doesn't help businesses compete with oversea markets. Now I'm throwing a lot of generalization in to this. But I whole heartily believe that focusing on our commercial transportation system will help us get back on top. But this is still an advance in the right direction with hybrid/new tech vehicle funding.

D

docm

drwayne":tyoy72dz said:
I think I heard something about this a while back in conjunction with Ford building a 100 mile range
electric Focus.

Wayne
The EV drive line is a plug & play system (adaptable to many vehicles) which was developed by Canada's Magna International on their own dime, who then offered it to Ford on a silver platter.

Ford, not being ones to look a gift horse in the mouth and with GM's Voltec system becoming a certainty instead of a possibility, jumped on it. It'll go into a European-style Focus platform for beginners.

Magna retains the rights to the tech, is willing to work licensing with other automakers and is going to do the manufacture themselves, not unlike the deal where Shelby modded Mustangs back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts