Founder leaves SpaceDev, challenges Virgin Galactic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Jim Benson has left SpaceDev to found the Benson Space Company. BSC's goal is to provide commercial spaceflights using SpaceDev's "Dream Chaser" spaceplane. Dream Chaser is an evolution of the NASA HL-20 spaceplane cancelled by Congress in 1990. <br /><br />Benson says he expects to be first to market, beating Virgin Galactic who is slated to offer its first commercial flght on SpaceShip Two in 2008.<br /><br />Presser....<br /><br />Dream Chaser page....<br /><br />NASA HL-20 page.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

webtaz99

This race is not for the swift, but for those who endure to the end. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

josh_simonson

A frontpage article shows starchaser in the fray as well.<br /><br />From the photo, starchaser looks comparable to the falcon 1 first stage in size. It must be lacking in mass fraction or something that they're not pushing it as a first stage for a smallsat launcher as well.

N

nyarlathotep

>"Benson says he expects to be first to market, beating Virgin Galactic who is slated to offer its first commercial flght on SpaceShip Two in 2008."<br /><br />He has only $1m in VC financing and has only just started design work. In the words of Richard Karn, "I don't think so Tim."<br /><br />I have serious doubts that he's going to beat SpaceShip Three to market, let alone SpaceShip Two.

P

publiusr

I bet Rutan is steaming mad and the loads of money Branson gave Clinton--with Rutan himself seeing little money by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.