Fragmentation of Superdense Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

astrobooger

Immense Gravity would be a problem in fragmenting superdense celestial bodies, but if they were approaching one another at high speed (relative speed greater than escape velocity) the pieces would not reform into a single object.<br /><br />Blackholes are a little strange. I believe that if they were on a head-on collision, with a relative speed greater than the speed of light (let's say 90% of light speed per blackhole) they might fragment. Of course, this is only a theory, and assuming the escape velocity at the surface of the mass is lower than twice the speed of light. This is also assuming that special relativity permits it, and the blackholes do not implode one another.<br /><br />However, White Dwarfs and Neutron Stars should fragment easily without any problems in relativity.

S

Saiph

well...sure...many of the pieces wouldn't reform, no problem there. But I ask...what's the particular point of this comment?<br /><br /><br />Also, there's a bit of a mistake in the second bit. The two black holes can never approach at a relative speed greater than the speed of light...that's the entire point of relativity.<br /><br />What should happen is they'll merge, lots of energy will be released, and the two black holes will continue moving as if it was a completely elastic collision. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

G

green_meklar

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Also, there's a bit of a mistake in the second bit. The two black holes can never approach at a relative speed greater than the speed of light...that's the entire point of relativity.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Yes, I was under that impression as well. I <i>thought</i> that part in the first post was a bit strange... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>________________</p><p>Repent! Repent! The technological singularity is coming!</p> </div>

S

search

No further comments on the speed...<br />As for black holes collision if that is what you are talking about:<br />http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020805075141.htm<br />"(...)when two black holes merge, the interaction will realign the larger one. They showed for the first time that a smaller hole could knock a bigger one, with five times the mass, out of kilter.<br />The realignment takes place with a sudden flip in the spin axis of the larger hole. It shows up, said Merritt and Ekers, as a sudden switch in direction of the jets of particles that shoot out along the black hole's spin axis. Images made with a radio telescope show both the old and the new paths, and the galaxy appears X-shaped."

Status
Not open for further replies.